• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

FrankB1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon bucket that holds RO/DI water for auto top off on a 20 gallon tank. I evap approx 1/4 gal per day. What can I add to the top off water bucket to add Calcium to my tank. Kalk wouldn't be effective after setting mixed in the top off bucket for up to a week would it. I had considered Aragamilk or similar but have read mixed reviews. Any recommendations?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the bucket sealed the Kalk would be fine. Like a Kalk reactor.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":38cis2px said:
I have wondered the same. I'm also trying to find out if I can use a 2 part mix on my newly mixed salt water for my water changes.

What's wrong with the salt mix that prompt you to add the two parts? Maybe you should get a better salt mix.

>... had considered Aragamilk or similar but have read mixed reviews.

Not worth the time. I used aragonite filter (RO/DI flow thru a bed of aragonite before going to the sump as topoff), but it does not do much since calcium is very insoluble.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME. this type of drip setup works well for daily Kalk dosing/top off water adding and the design keeps any leftover slurry from being put into the tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem. ... uct=KM2513

IMD%5C150%5CKM2513.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":92s3y967 said:
What's wrong with the salt mix that prompt you to add the two parts? Maybe you should get a better salt mix.

Recomendation

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":4yz6b07o said:
bleedingthought":4yz6b07o said:
I have wondered the same. I'm also trying to find out if I can use a 2 part mix on my newly mixed salt water for my water changes.
The salt that I use usually mixes to about 340ppm in Ca. I'm usually running my tank at about 410ppm. My tank is mixed with mostly leathers and LPS (it does have other softies and very few SPS) so it's not hard to keep it at that. I only use the 2 part buffer to maintain it. I'm concerned whether or not my 25% water changes will affect/are affecting any of my corals. I don't really want to change salts either. :?

Any concern?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That used to piss me off was instant ocean is I would do bi-weekly water changes of 25% on a little 10g prop tank, and add a bunch of junk to get the calcium to 420 then wondered why it would never stay that high... *sigh*

I use oceanic now for calcium issues with a 2 part, I don't want to add anything to the top off water though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: