• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am looking for a frag or a colony of either Alveopora sp. or one of the branched species of Goniopora (NOT the typical "flower-pot" corals that are so popular and so difficult to keep). These guys like lower light and lower flow and are (according to some authors, including Julian Sprung) easier to keep. However, they seem to also be harder to find (guess they aren't as dramatic and colorful). Anyone know where I could find one?

SethKim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ellebelle!
my dear, you have a taste for most difficult marine animals I gotta say..^^

I'll be honest, corals like alveropora, gonipora; 6polyp morph, 8, 12, polyp morph, they all do well for days, weeks, months then crash!!!!

Julian Sprung says its easy b/c its Sprung!!!!

corals such as gonipora should be left in the wild,

Sincerely,

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I did go ahead and get an alveopora, and its polyps extended within two minutes of putting it in my tank. I'll keep its progress updated in my tank thread. :) It's a pretty little coral, so I hope it does well.

PS: Feeding each polyp twice per week isn't all that hard - if you feed cyclopeeze and gentle baste over them with a turkey baster with your pumps and PH off, the polyps will EASILY catch it. I already target feed my blastos, candy canes and lobo.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Dean, Sprung says the same thing in a couple of different articles - that they don't respond to feeding so much but increased levels of magnesium and iron. But, on the flip side, I've read other articles that say that they must be fed. So, I figure it doesn't hurt to target feed as I do my other LPS. I've read that Blastos don't eat also, but the mouths on mine sure open up wide when a drift a little cyclopeeze onto them.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
As a side note, Eric bought me my Alveopora for Valentine's Day. So if it dies, is that a harbinger of doom for our relationship?
Nope. an ex bought me my blue candy cane. I still have the coral. As a matter of fact, the frags from it are responsible for most of the frags in my tank.

So don't look too deep into it. it's just a coral.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: