Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
I've noticed in a couple tanks of other MR members, that their zoas grow wider than mine do. I had a few zoas in common with these two tanks, however, theirs were definitely wider. I don't mean more open, I mean actually larger in size. I'm pretty sure a couple of those zoas came from my tank once upon a time. Those two tanks as well as mine are established and under LEDs, so I can't pinpoint a significant difference between the systems. It's always possible that they have zoas from a different region and they happen to grow wider there. Anyone have any theories or more insight?

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
What are your water parameters compared to there tanks? Ive noticed with my tank if my sg drops then the polyps seem to shrink in size. Im not sure if other parameters play a role in it as well but the sg is what i have noticed.

Mark2480

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Zoa steroids lol. Ok but on a serious note I think placement is one factor. In my tank I have moved the zoas around till they seem to be happy. I think they grow nicer when they find that comfort area. I have placed several different zoas in the same area some grow really big and others don't. The ones that don't get as big I move until I find a spot where they start to get bigger. I noticed that in the center area of my tank only certain zoas would open up nice and big and most wouldn't. Then recently a friend let me barrow a par meter, (the way my lights are set up I have two eco tech gen 2 one on each side and a gen 3 in the center) and as far as the readings go the center par readings are almost 100 more par under the gen 3 then compared to the gen 2's all set at the same settings. Now I only put the zoas that I know like the higher light in the middle area and they have started to get bigger. As you know I don't feed my zoas and I only dose cal, alk, and mag with the addition of some acro power once a month. So I'm assuming the light preference of each type of zoa has to play a big part in there size.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Zoa steroids lol. Ok but on a serious note I think placement is one factor. In my tank I have moved the zoas around till they seem to be happy. I think they grow nicer when they find that comfort area. I have placed several different zoas in the same area some grow really big and others don't. The ones that don't get as big I move until I find a spot where they start to get bigger. I noticed that in the center area of my tank only certain zoas would open up nice and big and most wouldn't. Then recently a friend let me barrow a par meter, (the way my lights are set up I have two eco tech gen 2 one on each side and a gen 3 in the center) and as far as the readings go the center par readings are almost 100 more par under the gen 3 then compared to the gen 2's all set at the same settings. Now I only put the zoas that I know like the higher light in the middle area and they have started to get bigger. As you know I don't feed my zoas and I only dose cal, alk, and mag with the addition of some acro power once a month. So I'm assuming the light preference of each type of zoa has to play a big part in there size.

Haha, it has to be the zoa steroids. Your polyps have grown very nicely. I can try out higher lighting with a couple of my zoas and see how they react after a while.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: