• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ScottK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
According to Knop's book Giant Clams, clams have much higher concentrations of symbiotic algae than corals, up to 10 times the amount, and these algae do require organic nitrogen compounds in addition to strong lighting. Thus, a large number of clams in a tank can result in measurable nitrogen absorbtion, but he goes on to say that a few small clams won't make much of a difference in most tanks. This is on pages 143-146.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
lol chief, you need large body mass to soak up enough nitrates.

you would have to run a remote clam tank as a filter, there would be no
room in a reg show tank for the clams needed.

that would be very cool though. if you had the space and money you could plumb in a low clam tank that you could look at the clams from above.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Before I sold all my corals and clams, my No3 had risen to 25 ppm due to the large amount of fish and feeding involved. Steady 25 ppm for the past 3-4 months even with weekly water changes.
Soon after I sold all the corals and clams, with the same amount of fish, slightly less feeding amount & less maybe 20 lbs of live rock since some of the corals were encrusted, my N03 went up to 50 ppm.

Significance of amount of corals in the system, maybe.
Significance of 3 clams with two measuring at 8" & 7", maybe.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: