• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have grown plants before on a 24hour lighting schedule... But has anyone ever lit their tank for 24hr.s???
I was thinking:chefico: about lighting my tank for 24hrs to see if my Sps would benefit from it... I've noticed some serious growth with higher Calcium, Alkalinity, and Mag levels and this made me think.. Maybe they will grow faster with a loger lighting schedule
When I went from 12 hours to 8 I noticed a slower growth rate...Or maybe it was in my head,,lol..
What do you guys think???

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Atopic similar to this has been brought up before, I remember someone saying that corals can only absorb so much light in a day and in the evening when all is dark they release gases.. and don't most corals have sweeper tentacles out at night?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Feeding a Coral Reef Aquarium - S. Joshi

Excerpts:
Zooxanthelle are unicellular algae that live within the coral polyp, and are the primary producers that produce food energy via photosynthesis. The autotrophic mode of feeding involves the translocation of the photosynthetic products produced by the symbiotic zooxanthallae to the coral polyp tissues. Research has shown that the total energy demand cannot be met by photosynthesis alone. The corals spend energy for the following functions: respiration, mucus production, growth and reproduction. Respiration accounts for 60-70% of the energy budget of the coral, and for most hermatypic corals the ratio of gross photosynthesis to respiration is slightly greater than one. Hence corals need to provide the additional energy needs via other means.
Research in predatory feeding has shown that, even in corals with polyps active in the daytime, polyps hunt more efficiently at night.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
All of my Sps have good polyp extension.. So matbe if I spot fed during the day that would be enough to deprive them of the night cycle...
Plants also go through respiration so maybe corals would benefit from a longer light cycle..
So the only down side I've seen so far is water temp and electric... And maybe hair algae..

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Some fish will definitely find 24 hour lights stressful, depending on what types of fish you have. Many wrasses have a definite sleep cycle where they bury themselves in the sand. I would say almost all vertebrate need a sleep cycle, you cant just keep swimming around for ever.
Can you test this in a special tank without fish? otherwise could you shade a portion of the tank to create a dark refuge for your fish?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: