• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cesaw

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is any one using 150 watt m/h with out UV protective sheild? if so how are your corals doing? how long have you had your is your oldest coral under that light? i am thinking of getting one, doing my home work and, read about the 150 and the uv it immitts unsheilded could be bad. thank you very much.

oceangallery

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You must use a lamp that is UV shielded. I was the original tester for Ushio 8 years ago when they were developing their 150w HQI. The first lamps were not UV shielded and from experience I can tell you it will kill every coral in your tank. If you do your homework correctly, you should come to the same conclusion without having to experience it. Spend the extra few bucks and get a lamp made and tested for this industry. There are DE 150w HQI lamps available for as low as $20 or so, but they are not the right Kelvin nor are they UV shielded. If you decide to "test" an unshield lamp for yourself at least use a piece of UV shield glass between the lamp and the tank.

is any one using 150 watt m/h with out UV protective sheild? if so how are your corals doing? how long have you had your is your oldest coral under that light? i am thinking of getting one, doing my home work and, read about the 150 and the uv it immitts unsheilded could be bad. thank you very much.

cesaw

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all very much, i am going to spend the extra money come tax time. i have learnd more about lighting on manhattan reefs than on any other web site. it was funny awhile back ago i went into my local ele. suppily co. and i stund him ( you want to do what? this light in your house! ) thank you all for your response good reefing!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: