• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

D

dylanjs

Hi Folks,
I am installing GFCI outlets in my apartment. Any thoughts or suggestions? ...Other than turning the circuit breakers off :wink1:

Thanks,
Dylan

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
make sure you match the outlets to the breaker it's going on,
15A or 20A.

will they be on dedicated circuits or sharing a line?

D

dylanjs

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I thought about getting the extension cords, but changed my mind after reading stories of the interrupter tripping and the tank being without power for 8 hours.

I'm going to swap the receptacle. I will check the amperage for sure.

Thanks!

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I run my tank on two seperate GFCIs that way if one trips the other will not. Someone mentioned something about only using them because the outlets where right underneath the bulkeheads. You don't use GFCI because you think they will get splashed with water, you use them because of concern of stray voltage wandering into your tank or your body.

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Go with the GFCI receptacle.Like JHale said make sure the out let matches the breaker.Also when wiring go around the screw prefearbly.If going straight in make sure you tighten that screw good.Make sure you don't skin too much wire where copper is showing and also put some electrical tape around it,and close your eyes when turning on the breaker-just kidding.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: