• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

D

dylanjs

OK Reefers,
As much as I would like to get a larger tank, I value my marriage too much to try that one.

So, I am going to DIY a hood and some new lighting.

A few things...

1. Because the tank has a (SHOOT ME!) center brace, I have to get two lights. The tank is also 24" deep, so I am thinking of upgrading to 250W MHs. Good idea or bad idea? Should I stick with 175Ws? I'm already running a chiller, btw.

2. I am thinking of swapping PC actinics for T5s or VHOs. Good idea or bad idea?

3. I plan on putting 2 fans in the top of the unit to pull hot air up and out. Is this better than having air flow across the lights?

4. Does anyone know about the MH pendants with 28W PCs built-in made by PFO? I saw it on Aquarium Specialty.

5. What's a good brand of pendants? Any suggestions on sites for the lighting part of the DIY?

Thanks,
Dylan

D

dylanjs

Oh, and how high should the lights be above the surface of the water?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
what are you stocking in the tank??

most people that that have 24" tall tanks get 250w MH or higher.

i would definately get vho over pcs for actinic supplementation

i am a big fan of having the heat pulled out of the hood instead of having the fan blowing into the hood

if i'm not mistaken two mh pendants and a vho retrofit are a lot cheaper than those fixtures that come w/ both

i used both pfo and aquamedic pendants. i like the aquamedic a lot more because it's much brighter

good luck w/ your choices

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Right now I have a mated pair of ocellaris and mated pair of grammas, 1 bubble anemone, 1 condylactis, some shrimp, two cukes, handful of snails, and a few hermits. I just added 4 pieces of xenia, too.

Next step is figuring out what SPS I want...

I've been leaning towards VHOs. I'll check out those pendants.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Definately go T-5 or VHO over PC's. I've never used T-5 but VHO are definately more than good enough for actinic supplementation.

If you're planning to go with SPS, go with the 250watters. You won't regret it later. Most everything, even softies can be acclimated to this amount of light.

You might want to ditch the condylactis before you get into SPS, especially if it likes to move.

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
The condylactis only moves if I try to put it in an attractive location. :wink1:

The ocellaris actually picked the condylactis over the bubble anemone, so it's not getting ditched just yet. I'll watch it, though. Thanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: