• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Omega

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This weekend Craig and his lovely fiancee Liz took a trip to LI to assist in their Canopy project. This Canopy sat atop of a 46g Oceanic bow, and housed a 36" Aqua Medic lighting unit. Beautiful peice of lighting equiptment. The top of the Canopy was engineered with bevels on front and back that harnessed the beast. Extra strap added for support. Bow front of Canopy hinges at a 90 degree angle. Plenty of room for maintainence. Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC01446.JPG
    DSC01446.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC01445.JPG
    DSC01445.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC01444.JPG
    DSC01444.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC01442.JPG
    DSC01442.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC01441.jpg
    DSC01441.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC01440.JPG
    DSC01440.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC01433.JPG
    DSC01433.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC01432.JPG
    DSC01432.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC01431.JPG
    DSC01431.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC01430.JPG
    DSC01430.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC01428.JPG
    DSC01428.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 261

Liz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
VINCE!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
YOU ROCK DUDE!!! It is in the process of being primed then painted.

So i heard your having another canopy build...:lol2:
:idea: :scratchch I have an Idea how about :grouphug: a BBQ?:beer::champagne

And remember...
:turtle: Slow and steady wins the race...
P.S. lemme know about the laminate.

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
that looks very professional. one question, why didnt you make it so it covers the tank frame? looks good regardless, wanna build a stand for me? lol:tongueani

Omega

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
that looks very professional. one question, why didnt you make it so it covers the tank frame? looks good regardless, wanna build a stand for me? lol:tongueani

Flush mount is the way to go. Takes away from the bulkyness of the piece. Remember this is all custom. So it's whatever and however you want it built. Communication is a wonderful thing!!

Thank you all for compliments. Very Kind. And Yes LIZ I think there will be a Spring Sump Build / BBQ sponsored by Corona! :spin:

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Vince pimped my tank! I was going to go with a cardboard canopy to match my controller mount but decided against it in the last minutes.

This thing is built like a tank :tank: . I'm curently using it as a stepstool.
Flush mount is the way to go. One this is done is should look like an OEM canopy...except not OEM like the cheap-o oceanic canopies.

Just started filling in the nail holes. Will sand down tomorrow. Next it'll get a coat of primer. Then the inside will be painted a flat white and the outside will get a flat black, following by a clear coat to help waterproof.

I'm going to install a hinge to that the opening holds at a 90 degree angle which stops just short of hitting the light unit. Will also install some pieces of metal at the contact points with thelight unit to help act like a heatsink to avoid warping the wood.

Vince's brilliant wife has figured out how to create a perfect match laminate to the "stainless" finsih so that will be applied in the near future . The canopy will be finished off with two 4" fans and two moonlights.

End result will be more light focused at the tank instead of dispursed on the walls due to hanging it 8" above the tank. With 2 fans on the side hooked up to my RK2 hopefully it should run cooler.

For all of those with a bowfront tank I reccomend giving Vince a call. :groupflip

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, now I see it. That's cool. I've always believed in a streamlined look to reef tanks. Nothing worse than when people put these 10 gallon hat canopies on.

Steven

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Sweet work Vinci .You should contact some company and show them how to make canopies the right way ;)

Oceanic use plastic hinges what a joke !!!!

Kudos !!!

Ronen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: