esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to build a sump for my 180 to house skimmer, thermometers, refugium w/ LOA lights, etc. I plan to use acrylic/plexiglas. The sump will measure 40"x16"x20" (LxWxH)

Questions: What do I need to use to join the edges? Will simple aquarium silicone do?

How thick of acrylic/plexiglas do I need?

What is the bes baffle spacing to minimize microbubles?

Can you point me to some links of other people's DIY sumps?

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Ernie

Mark420

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sorry I can't give you that info because I'm looking for the same info on a sump for my 105g, to house my skim,heater,probes for controller and fefugium.
From waht I have been reading in other post's is that makes things a lot easier to start off with a old glass tank and add the baffle's.
icon_cool.gif
Wish I could help more.
If some one could e-mail me some info on sump designs it would be great
[email protected]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE dimensions you state are only 4 inches longer than a 30 gal AGA. I bought a 30 gal for $35 and drilled a hole in it. Added a bulkhead and ballvalve. Then I have 4 baffles made from 1/4" plexi, siliconed into the tank.

Too bad you don't live in NYC. I would (and will) sell it for $50. as is. (with bulkhead and balvalve.

B

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ernie I just built a 36X20X20 out of 3/8 acrylic for myself and my 120g reef. I used acrylic cement and capillary action to bind the joints. I must say it looks nice. I have 3 1.5" bulkheads on one side emptying into the sump and 2 1.5" bulkheads for pumps back to the tank and skimmer. Silicone is not good for acrylic either use weldon or acrylic cement (I highly recommend the later)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you do a search for Weld-on on htis board, you will find a lot of info and tips/tricks on acrylic construction.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have built six of them. I also put some DIY info on how I did it on my web site. You might take a look.

kyguy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ready made 40L is probaly going to be the easiest way to do that, but if yo uwant to build it, here's another idea. I made a 85g corner tank in my house out of wood, with only the front being glass, tank, top, light, stand, and filter all togther set me back $83.47. If you don't mind only the front being see through. I used a 4x8 piece of plywood, cut it to the dimensions I needed, and keyholes out the front to make a windoe for the glass to sit in (resting against a 2" outer frame. Then used fiberglass resin (plain old bondo) to coat the inside of the tank to make it water-tight, and siliconed the seal around the glass. 6 years and 4 moves later, not so much as a drop or crack from it. I used brass screws to hold the sides together, and they haven's shown any signs of rust, or anything.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 3/8" acrylic and Weld-On #5 (the guys at the acrylic shop said it was the thing to use. I will post photos tomorrow.

BTW- the MSDS on the #5 is pretty nasty!

Mark420

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I would love to see the design of the sump you are building. I'm in the process of doing a DIY sump w/refugium using a 4ftlong 48g glass tank, but still thinking of how to design it, and looking for any idea's

cgbexec

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esmithiii,

I would use a 40gal. breader tank, which is what I did for my 125. I used 1/4" plexi-glass for the bulk heads and secured them with silicone. I got the plexi for nothing as it was scrap at a plastics shop. They just gave it to me. This worked perfectly. I did not even drill the tank. I mounted the pump just below the water line on the outside of the sump and used PVC to go up and over and into the 40gal. This was about $1.50 worth of PVC. Loss of pressure is minimal because I used large pipe for the pick up. I can also service the pump without having to spill water. The ready built tank is cheaper than building one. Just a thought.

Chris

Mark420

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I got it thank you much...I'm now trying to see if I can fit a 4ft sump in a 5ft stand?????Think it's posible???

Mark420

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ems. I will do that, I "plan" to get "something" done this week end so I'm soure I'll have some "?'s"
icon_razz.gif

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, feel free to call or e-mail me if you want to chat about it. There were many things I learned that I would do differently if I were to do it over again. My wife was out of town the week I made mine so she didn't have to hear all the cussing!
icon_wink.gif

Ernie

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: