Mark420

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a DIY sump w/refugium, using a 4ft 48g tank under my stand for the set up. I plan to use about 1/2 of it for the ref. I need to fit my skim. w/pw,heater,probes,etc. I want to make 2-3 baffles to cut-out bubbles, should the last baff. before return pick up be a under or over "flow" baffle??
Also my tank is drilled for the overflow to sump line,(still with me here??) In WHAT fasion do you "dump" the water to the sump (straight in??) Do you build a shelf for a "Pre" filter (like in a wet/dry type??)
Please give me any and all help
icon_confused.gif

Thanks
[email protected]

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mark,
Ever thought of having the refugium in the middle of the sump. I'm thinking the first foot would house your skimmer and overflow from tank, the middle two feet would house a refugium, DSB, rock or watever you want. The last foot would house your return pump, heaters, etc. You shouldn't have any bubble problems from your skimmer this way. I believe your skimmer should be the first to receive water in your sump, any junk it misses will be food for the refugium. I wouldn't worry to much how the water gets to the sump, or prefiltering, the skimmer should take care of it. If it doesn't, loose materials will either settle out in the first section or settle in the refugium.

My sump is set up this way. A 20 gal long with three sections, the first has the pipe from tank and skimmer, the middle has DSB, macroalgae, and coral frags. This is lit with a 27 watt PC quad. The last section has the return pump, float switch and my water topoff device. My two dividers are over half the height of the tank. I have holes drilled in them above the sand bed to ease water flow through the section and minimize algae and such from being sucked up by my return pump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: