• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

afss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got myself a glass and tile bit to try to drill out a 10 gallon tank so that I can use it inline with my tank as a hatch out for baby banggais. I managed to drill 2 holes No problem
icon_biggrin.gif
..... well little problem. The holes aren't holes so much as they are triangles with the 3 points slightly rounded
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

I know think this is caused by the drill starting to bounce around a bit after you first break through the other side of the glass.
icon_sad.gif

My question is how do you prevent this from happening?
Thanks
Scott

kervina

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a few tanks myself a few years back. In very short order I realized that without a drill press, it was an exercise in futility. I just don't have the stability to do it.

My dad manages to get perfect holes in glass with a normal electric hand drill.

Perhaps you have a steady-handed friend who could help, or know someone who would let you borrow the use of their drill-press?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things:

I bought a drill press attachment for my hand drill at HD for 35 bucks. It works okay.

A rotozip is abouo 80, and the bit is another 10 or so.

B

jerryreef

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they all tempered glass?

Thanks
Jerry
======

A mind that is stretched by new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.....

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a cheapo drill press for less than $30 on e-bay, but you'll get screwed on shipping. I paid less than $30 and then the vendor told me I couldn't pick it up and said that shipping was $30 even though I was within 20 miles because they average out shipping costs across the country, you pay the same next door as you do on the other side of the country. The drill is not so impressive, but it worked for drilling some acrylic sheets 3/4 inch thick.

David Grigor

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10" drill press and couldn't find a way to get the tank under it. Bought one of the univeral drill presses ( $35 ) that you attach your hand drill to the drill press chuck.

My first attempt was clamping the drill press to the glass tank. It shattered I think because of the additional weight. I then went to the store and picked up a concrete block. Because of the hollow of the block I was able to clamp the drill press to it to keep it nice and steady. I also place a concrete block on the inside of the tank between a piece of carpet to keep the tank steady.

Worked like a charm. I drill 5 20g high tanks each with 2 1.75" holes. 10 hole altogether no casualties.

I have a picture of the setup that hopefully I can post in a couple of days. My ftp site password isn't working and hopefully can get it straightened out real soon.....

mwwill

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought of drilling a couple of my tanks and have a bit for it. I am worried though that if I make the hole too big, the structural integrity of the glass bottom/side would be compromised. Are there any charts for this?

AuroraDave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tank drilling tip...
Cut a 1-2" piece of PVC tube
The diameter of the PVC needs to be larger than the hole you are drilling.
Position over the spot you want to drill (you can even temp. silicon glue to tank).
Fill with water or lubricating oil and drill inside the PVC.

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip... I looked into drilling my 80 AGA and discovered that to do it right, requires the right bit. Diamond tip bits cost more than $150.00. For drilling your little ten gal, you may be okay trying conventional bits. What I discovered was that local glass shops carry all this stuff and may warranty your tank if they break it during drilling. The usual cost is $10-$25.00. Unless you are planning on doing a bunch of holes, I would definately consider this the safest, fastest and cheapest aprroach, especially for the other guys out there attapmtong to drill that big AGA, which is impossible to do without a commercial drill press, diamond bit and skill.
Cheers,
Scott

Bingo Working

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerrata;

I got my 1 3/4" diamond drill bit for about $40. From AMERIGLASS. I don't have the link here, but do a search and you will find it.

HTH
B

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135 gallon and it is a big, bad mother that is hard to move. I would like to call out a glass guy to come cut a section so I can run an overflow with gravity instead of a pump.

Has anyone had a glass expert out to their house? Do places do that?

afss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no just make/buy an overflow instead of drilling it. I made an overflow that easily handles the water returning to my 90 from an 802 poerhead. It would be extremely easy to make it flow more. Aside from time the total cost for the overflow was probably around 10-15 cnd.

Ricpan

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond bit is the way to go. I've used both tube&carbide and diamond. Diamond is much easier! I paid $40 for 1 3/4" bit from a stainglass online company, I think ameriglass or something like that. I have drilled many holes with no problem. Use clay or plumbing puddy for dam. Put half antifreeze/water mixture in dam, just a little. Now take a small piece of 1X4 and drill a hole the same size as the diamond bit. place this over dam and hold with your hand. Drill perfit round hole anywhere you want it.

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone drilled a 120+ gallon glass tank successfully before?

Acrylic is supposed to be a cake-walk.

I've been warned not to do it with my 135 gallon due to the thickness of the glass and the subsequent instability *IF* I could get a hole cut successfully.
icon_sad.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin
I drilled out a 30 gal. IF it broke, I was only out $35. I would only trust a pro to do anthing that big.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: