• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mpls reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm considering running a closed loop for my 110 reef tank, and was wondering how many have them and like them?

thanks for the info.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them because it is one of the best way to increase circulation without spending too much money on the pump and electricity, and without the use of powerheads. I am thinking about getting a stream pump, but that's just another project.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine because it allows me to get ALOT of flow from a very wide varirety of angles in my tank with the use of locline fittings.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to but I'm not sure I'm "that" handy to make it handy. My husband is not a handy man. :oops:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run closed loops on my first two tanks. On my current tank I am going with streams. Closed loops have the advantage of having multiple outlets from one pump and not having power heads in the tank. The down side over streams is the plumbing and the electricity usage per gallon pumped. It comes down to preference, both will do the job.

condiman1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the only down fall I see is that once you have your outlets placed there is no going back unlike powerheads you can move anywhere. The other thing I like about CL is the reliablity of one main pump compaired to powerheads.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
condiman1":17mhtl7i said:
Now the only down fall I see is that once you have your outlets placed there is no going back unlike powerheads you can move anywhere. The other thing I like about CL is the reliablity of one main pump compaired to powerheads.

IMO that would be a problem instead of a benifit. With the CL you are depending on one source of circulation as opposed to multiple with PH's.

Mpls reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess with my thinking was to not have the power heads all over, so by having the closed loop, i was going to have moveable outlits to change the current throughout the tank, therefore eliminating dead spots as well.

condiman1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":1qhbxqin said:
condiman1":1qhbxqin said:

IMO that would be a problem instead of a benifit. With the CL you are depending on one source of circulation as opposed to multiple with PH's.

I see what you are gettin at but majority of the time your single pump either it be blue line or gen x are more reliable then lets say a maxi or rio. I do see what you are getting at tho.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mpls reefer":e421brkp said:
i guess with my thinking was to not have the power heads all over, so by having the closed loop, i was going to have moveable outlits to change the current throughout the tank, therefore eliminating dead spots as well.

If you go with the CL multiple outlets are the way. Locline is nice for being able to fine tune the flow pattern.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
condiman1":2xkjmnvp said:
Wazzel":2xkjmnvp said:
condiman1":2xkjmnvp said:

I see what you are gettin at but majority of the time your single pump either it be blue line or gen x are more reliable then lets say a maxi or rio. I do see what you are getting at tho.

Maxi jets are really reliable. I have some that are near 10 years old still going strong. I understand your point about having a better quality pump (I used a sequence pump for my last CL). You still are down to a single point failure. I know a couple of guys that had there CL pump go down and had problems because of the time to get a replacement pump. On the other hand of you loose one of two or more power heads the flow loss will not be of the same magnitude.

Like I said before, both will do the job. It's just a matter of preference and knowing the pros and cons of each system.

My biggest reason this time for ging Power heads over a cl was the plumbing. On my last two tank I had all kinds of pipes running all over the place and I really wanted to keed the assembly simple this time.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":2ftza4ax said:
My biggest reason this time for ging Power heads over a cl was the plumbing. On my last two tank I had all kinds of pipes running all over the place and I really wanted to keed the assembly simple this time.

Yep, a power head can clutter the inside of a tank a bit, but an intricate CL can sure get cluttered and downright complex on the outside. My CL has 16 locline fittings, 8 on a wave maker and 8 constant. I can adjust the flow in MANY different ways.

As stated above, Its all a matter of preference. And know how of plumbing in some cases.

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I put the CL on my 145g was really didn't want the look of PHs in the tank.

Only negative is for me would be noise. I did the basement sump to try to get a near silent tank but made the mistake of putting the CL pump below the tank. I get a bit of hum from the Dart.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: