• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

RWillieK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question - I need to build a float valve before we go on vacation. I would like who ever watches my tanks (plus the cats and bonsai) to have as little work as possible.

What I would like to is have an electric switching float pump to turn on my aqualifter to pump from two five gallon buckets into my sump.

Thats my ideal setup.

If I have to, I'll set the containers on a stand, start a siphon down to a normal float valve.

Lastly, I can tip a 5 gallon container on its side, and run it to a float valve.

Any ideas on a better setup?

We will be gone for 12 Days total.

Robbie

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard good thing about this company for a float switch for your pump. http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/index.htm. This particular item has a fail safe. I have never heard good things about float valves. I have one of each. :D Depending on the size of your tank and how much evap you get, it may be easier to just get a 20gallon rubbermaid garbage can.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switch shown in the link that Trido provided look really good.

Whatever you do, make sure you use two float switches (like the one in the link above). If you trust one float switch you are asking for disaster. It will eventually fail and flood you tank. With two float switches that risk is mimimized.

Louey

RWillieK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it took several days to get any replies....so I sort of came up with a solution on my own.....

I bought an RO shut off kit (I was wanting one anyway) from Drs Foster Smith (it was on sale - bonus). For now I'm going use the float valve only with a storage bing running into it.

so I took a 5.5 gallon storage container and drilled a hole in it, and put a bulkhead in it....put a couple of adaptors together, and got it down to 1/4" RO tubing.....that will go into the float valve.

I'm going to run it for a while before going on vacation to keep an eye on it......I don't see too many ways it could go wrong.....but then again I've been wrong before.

Robbie

Mpls reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":1tg1ndjz said:
The float switch shown in the link that Trido provided look really good.

Whatever you do, make sure you use two float switches (like the one in the link above). If you trust one float switch you are asking for disaster. It will eventually fail and flood you tank. With two float switches that risk is mimimized.

Louey
louey....i have the auto top off for my set up.. a little different but works great, was wondering about the back up? i don't have 1 for my setup. where would the back up float go and what does it look like? do you have a pic?
thanks for the help.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mpls reefer.
If you refer to the link I posted above you will see what a double float switch looks like. Unless you are good at circuit boards you may have to can the one you have and buy one already set up like I did. Louey is right. A single float switch WILL cause floods. I can guarantee that from experience.

Mpls reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i'm thinking..because what happened was the cpr overflow i have on my 75 now the pump on the top got something stuck in the small hose and stopped the flow from the tank to the sump, there fore telling the rodi system i have in the basement that the sump needed more water, and did that for about 2-3 hours, well.... i had water all over the wood floor, thats why i was asking, sounds well worth the change over ..

RandyStacyE

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest and easiest solution would be to have an elevated reservoir (even if temporary) and gravity feed a float valve (even if plumbed temporarily). No way to foul that up plus its cheaper than dirt. You could even set a smaller trash can on a chair to elevate it. Fill it with RO/DI water and it would last weeks (depending on the size of your tank).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: