A

Anonymous

That design is kind of poor. For bio-balls to work (if you even use them, which many reefers dont) you need the water to trickle over them, they shouldn't be submersed. The way this design has it is for the chamber to be full of water, rendering the bio-balls useless. Ditch the balls.

And about the fine/coarse layers of sand, why don't you just put all live sand in the bottom? The critters will proliferate and if you block the waterflow to the return pump with a filter pad you can export the caught amphiopods and copepods up to the main tank!

A

Anonymous

I have bio wheels I would liketo use instead of balls also will put my protein skimmer in there . will use live sand and rock amd sponge all in a 20 gal. more suggestions please

A

Anonymous

Still looking for input on this
anyone have a better idea or design
any info or links would be greatly appreaciated!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Monkeyboy,

The bioballs in this kind of filter are not designed to function in the classic trickle filter manner, and are intended to be submerged.

Their intended function is to break up lager pieces of detritus to allow the fauna and plants in the filter to better deal with the detritus.

This filter is a variant of a mud bed “EcoSystem” filter, which I am experimenting with.

So IMHO, these approaches to filtration are viable alternatives.

I have been studying these systems for the last 6 months or so, and the systems that they are associated with are very successful.

I might add that skimmers are often used only sporadically with these systems.

I am putting one of these systems in practice on my own new 180 reef.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

madmax

I E-mailed you a variant of this filter design.

If you would like to discuss this subject at length, you can call me at 303-744-3560.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by madmax:
Still looking for input on this
anyone have a better idea or design
any info or links would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A

Anonymous

The design in the link seems a bit over complicated, the bioball section need not be there really, although Scott will probably disagree (no flame ment
smile.gif
), you could have the water coming down from your tank and just hitting a baffle or two to lessen any bubbles that might cause problems, also I dont see the point of the float switch on the way out, if you have a drilled tank you do not need this (unless it was for water topoff????) have a large baffle between the refuge and the pump (ie refuge fills with water and then spills over into pump compartment).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: