danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"MUD" or any forms of mud does not replace skimmer. It's the Algae that grows from it that does. Even with Miracle mud, they requires you to plant caulerpa into it for the concept to work. So, why buy the "MUD"? Just use any sand to grow the caulerpa, works the same!

rickb1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer Matt, but I dont live anywhere near florida and believe there is yet an even cheaper answer to this question.

so

I'll give ten bucks , a pat on the back, and a free kick in the ass to the first person who finds the Home Depot/Southdown equivalent of the Miracle Mud.

rickb

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rickb,
I've got an equivalent source of miracle mud, it's called Moo Dirt, made in Vermont at a farm which captures all its manure, draws off the methane which powers it's generator, composts the remainder into potting soil. I would think the extra nitrates would help fuel the caulerpa. Maybe when I upgrade my system, I'll do a mix of southdown and dirt
icon_biggrin.gif

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: fishfarmer ]

John@Carline

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishfarmer: Did you get that "dirt" from the DeVoid farm in Middlebury!?!?! LOL!!!!

Everyone: I was lucky enough to get some of the "mud" from Inlandreef's display tank, and it is the real deal.

To people who use the MM(Ecosystem)sytem. I highly doubt also that your system is thriving because of the MM system, if it is, save yourself some money and go to your backyard and start diggin! $7 per pound! Wow! There are quite a few gullable people out there if they're buying this stuff, for that same money you can get a very nice piece of "scientifically proven" hardware(skimmer,aquacontroller,CA reactor,MH,PC,VHO lighting upgrade,live rock, etc etc)

John@Carline

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have to add on the fact that you can buy a CPR aquafuge 24" refugium, some good PC lighting,live sand,live rock rubble,some macroalgae,maybe a few critters, and still have enough money for a movie,12pack of your favorite beer,good can of dogffood for Rover,a plastic rose for your GF or wife,and still be able to play powerball, and get your monthly Playboy magazine for the same price as an "ECOsystem"!!

John@Carline

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have to add on the fact that I am now selling my own product.

Its called "Miracle Dump". Its availabe for $3.50 per pound on a "daily" basis. Just call me via my "900" number 2-3 hours after my meals and I should have a few pounds ready to ship! Remember, the more you buy, the better I eat!
icon_eek.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, John, what happened to your stars? Did someone degraded you?
icon_rolleyes.gif
Guess someone don't like your stuff ($3.50!), Try selling for a buck per pound and see your stars making a comeback!
icon_biggrin.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to bag on you guys, but damn! You can sell a reefer just about anything! I've got so much aquarium crap that I don't use.

I've got a 102 floor building for sale:
300 million gallon capacity--perfect for dispay tank, sump or refugium!
73 elevators
Convenient steam heating system
Industrial sized chill system
Requires dedicated 60,000 Amp 120V ckt
Buyer pays actual shipping from 5th Ave in Manhatten

Selling cheap!

pmcg2513

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Leng Sy ecosystem (with caulerpa growing in miracle mud)and I love it. I keep thinking I am doing something wrong because this is too easy. If I had gone into reef forums before setting up the tank, I would have never opted for a salt water tank (hearing about all the equipment, additives, costs, problems, etc) I would have kept with a fresh water tank.

I only have a 29 gal set up in Sept. I have never had yellow water..it's very clear. No skimmer. Only additive is ecosystems reef solution. (stopped adding Cal since cal levals are good) My LFS tested my water last week and said all water parameters were excellent (have been since set up) I have not had any problems with hair algae or other problems.

I have about 12 corals doing well (some overtaking tank) 4 fish (2 since set up), lots of cleaners and critters. (Tons of critters in the back)

In the future, I hope to get a larger tank and definitely would use this system again. Check out some of the articles on www.ecosystemaquarium.com

Since this is my first SW, I don't have anything to compare it to except what I have read on the forums. It appears in the long run to be cheaper.

Miracle Mud? So, what's in a name, if it works.

MattM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paulette McGlynn:
<STRONG>FYI: My owner's manual (and LFS) say replace 50% of the mud every two years.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. Not sure where I got the "6 months" number from - probably just poor memory!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Modo:
<STRONG>if this stuff is dried (under a "special" method or not) isn't any benefical life and bacteria dead when you get it?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, as a door nail. They never used to claim that it contained anything alive, but they now claim it "contains anaerobic microorganisms". I would buy "can harbor anaerobic microorganisms", but 1) any substrate will do that and 2) I am suspicious about anything being alive in a sealed package with no shelf life.

I think their URL is posted a couple messages up.

I want to make it clear, I'm not on a vendetta against EcoSystems, but someone asked about the product. IMO there are many other products in this hobby with far shakier claims and dubious value. On a scale of 1 (sound principles with very little added marketing) to 10 (Mark Weiss), I would personally give EcoSystems a 6. Maybe 7.
icon_smile.gif

The worst it will do is prematurely drain your wallet.

danmhippo is right, if you want an algae filled refugium, fine grain aragonite sand will work just as well.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: MattM ]

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people that are using the Ecosystem method with miracle mud:

You use a caulerpa refugium with the mud in it, right? So my question is:

How do you directly attribute your success to the miracle mud? Where is the direct link that attributes your success to the mud?

Would your tank not do as well, or crash, if you were just using arragonite instead of the miracle mud?

Cheers
James Wiseman

tomocean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an Ecosystem sump (with the Mud) and in my opinion...it is completely worth it. I haven't had to add ANY additives at all in order to maintain healthy tank parameters, no skimming, and a thriving aquarium. I haven't added any supplements as a test of their claim. When the Caulerpa ban scare came up here in California I called Ecosystem Aquarium and asked what I should do if Caulerpa was banned. They informed me that the Caulerpa is really not needed for the system to function. They said the Caulerpa helps to prevent nuisance algae in the main tank. I don't know what is in the Mud, but I don't think it is an inordinate amount to spend $60 every two years on something that has worked like a charm.

Henry1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running on EcoSystem for 9 months now. Only different is - NO CAULERPA in the mud sump.
Not that I don't want to but it's a huge marauding Red Legged hermit which must be placed in it. It go about pulling out every strand of caulerpa, giving no chance for any growth. It also constantly sift the mud bed for food, churning up plume of fine silt which dust the main tank from time to time.

The point I'm making is, the mud filter can work WITHOUT caulerpa. I hardly notice any copepods and worm as they are all in the Red Legged's tummy. My corals are all doing great - full polyps extention with no color fading.
Have never use a protein skimmer or added any additives. Only drip Kalk and do monthly 20% water change.

While I don't know what's in the mud, I do know that it is impregnated with essential elements that are release over time into the display thank . . . don't ask me what essential minerals was impregnated - I don't know.
At the same time, the mud is suppose to settle over time to give two zone - top aerobic and anaerobic deeper down where nitrate could be broken down.
In my case, it aerobic zone for the entire bed most of the time (no thanks to the Red Legged, but the whole thing works.

Just my own experience I'd like to share.

Cheers and happy reefing
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: