• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

oceanarus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'll try to keep a long story short. Paired up a couple of GSMs last year. They took to each other right away. Almost a year after they paired, they had their first spawn.

8/6 - first spawn
8/7 - notice the nest is gone, they ate it :cry:
8/18 - 2nd spawn, my wife has ZERO patience for pairs that consume eggs, so the nest is pulled very shortly after spawn. I know what you are thinking, but we have been doing this with our cinnamons that loves to eat eggs and we still get a good hatchout with them. The eggs looked a peachy-orange opaque color. The nest deteriorated (no fungussing observed) over the next couple of days w/o any indication of developing.
9/14 - 3rd spawn - same results as the second
9/30 - 4th spawn - decide to leave the nest with the parents to see what happens, was eaten that day by the female.
10/9 - 5th spawn - same result as the second and third.

I have heard that it will sometimes take the pair some time to get things going right, but how long is that? I figured by the 5th spawn they would each have their parts figured out. So what are the odds that I have a sterile male? Is there any other reason why this is happening? We have several other pairs of spawning clownfish, so we know what a fertilized nest of eggs look like, and the ones from our maroons just don't look that way.

FYI attached is a picture of the pair, their nesting site is on the tile under the sponge filter which is behind them in the picture.

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 2,957

fishmark

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish are hermaphridites being born with no sex until time of maturity when pairing with another, the most dominant of the two becomes female and the lesser male this is fine for fish that have been raised together, But it is possible that the pair you have formed are both female unfortunately once a fish has changed gender to female they are unable to reverse back to male. Size in clowns is irrelleavent due to dom ination the fish will exhibit all normal behaivour as being a breeding pair but the eggs will be sterile this is more so noticed in the development of the eggs. At the same time premnas are notorious for eating there eggs if they feel conditions aren't quite right
Best of luck and i hope this is of some asssistance

rsman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
protandrous hermaphrodites

its not likely that 2 female GSM's exist in the same tank, and males cant lay eggs.

6 or 20 bad first attempts should not be a shocker.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: