Mal

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pyjama Cardinal are Breeding. One of the pair has a big lower jaw, which I think is where he is caring the young.

Does anyone know about breeding theses fish? Can you give me information about their breeding habits or a reference to get information so I can save the young and raise them? I have several empty tanks available. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Mal

ToddG

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mal,

I haven't had a chance to work with this particular species, but I suspect the larvae which are much smaller and less developed than Banggai cardinal young, will need something at least as small as rotifers as a first food. I would take one of those spare tanks you have, wrap some black plastic around it, fill it with clean water and set up an air-driven foam filter with slow to moderate air flow. If you have access to live phytoplankton (greenwater), add enough so that you can't see accross the tank. I wouldn't add the phytoplankton until the larvae hatch. When you get larvae in the tank, add enough rotifers to get a density of 5-15/ml. For this first batch, just try to siphon as many as you can out of the tank when they hatch, but once you figure out how long it takes to hatch (I would guess less than a week, and probably more like 4 days - just a guess), you might want to try removing the father on the scheduled hatch date next time. If he doesn't spit the eggs out, you can place him in the rearing tank so that all the eggs hatch in there. If he does spit them out you can take the eggs and place them in an inverted soda bottle with the bottom cut off and a gentle stream of air bubbles to keep them suspended until they hatch. Then carefully transfer them to the rearing tank.

If you don't have rotifers and phytoplankton already, get working on getting some cultures going. I'm sure your cardinals will give you plenty more chances to try. Be careful though - aquaculture can become addictive.

Good luck,

Mal

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the larvae which are much smaller and less developed than Banggai cardinal young, will need something at least as small as rotifers as a first food. I would take one of those spare tanks you have, wrap some black plastic around it, fill it with clean water and set up an air-driven foam filter with slow to moderate air flow. If you have access to live phytoplankton (greenwater), add enough so that you can't see accross the tank. I wouldn't add the phytoplankton until the larvae hatch. When you get larvae in the tank, add enough rotifers to get a density of 5-15/ml. For this first batch, just try to siphon as many as you can out of the tank when they hatch, but once you figure out how long it takes to hatch (I would guess less than a week, and probably more like 4 days - just a guess), you might want to try removing the father on the scheduled hatch date next time. If he doesn't spit the eggs out, you can place him in the rearing tank so that all the eggs hatch in there. If he does spit them out you can take the eggs and place them in an inverted soda bottle with the bottom cut off and a gentle stream of air bubbles to keep them suspended until they hatch. Then carefully transfer them to the rearing tank.

Todd,

I have been raising clown fish, so I have phyto and ruts.

Where does the air-driven foam filter go? Don't you use an air stone?

Are you saying to put the phyto in the tank with the eggs or young? And when, before or after the young are in the tank. I am not clear on this.

Thanks

Mal

ToddG

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mal,
I usually add the phyto at the same time as the larvae or right after they hatch in the tank, but never with the unhatched eggs. The foam filter is not necessary, but it does help maintain water quality. I like to go as long as possible (a week or two) before changing water on a tank of small larvae and the foam filter buys a little more time. I use those cylindrical filters with a UG style elbow on top. In a typical rectangular tank I place it in one corner, pointing diagonally out accross the tank, but I try to keep the foam from actually touching the tank walls as that can create a trap for larvae. Air stones are okay, but I try to stay away from ones that put out too fine of a mist. I've noticed that some of my larvae like to eat rotifer-sized microbubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: