Francisco Andrade

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
What do you all think about using canthaxantin to improve clownfish egg quality ?? May it solve (along with good food) the pale egg issue ?

thanks

chadonna

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, Canthaxantin is used to increase the color of developed fish such as salmon. It's used in captive-reared salmon so much that one company supplied a colorwheel to allow customers choose which shade they want. Now there is a movement to have labeling added to indicate how much is added and possible side-effects of consumption by humans. This makes me question the safety of using it. According to Wilkerson "Eggs that are transparent or pale instead of bright yellow or orange may indicate a nutritional deficiency in the parents' diet..." You may try using Cyclops-eeze which contains a naturally high pigment. I've seen some good reviews on the web, and my corals love it. I honestly thing they would jump out and hug me if they could. Doing a search on it should net you some reviews other than the ones on manufacturer's website.

Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Francisco, I am not at home but I did run across an abstract about feeding the astathaxin to breeders to improve egg quality. Also found an abstract about adding Paprika powder to foods to help in the same way. When I get back home this week I will look for them and post. I do think cyclopleaze would be easier but if you are unable to access this product you may have better luck with the powdered carotenes. By the way carotenes are important in larval fish just as it is found to be in human development.

Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watanabe, T., R. Vassallo-Agius. 2003. Broodstock nutrition research on marine finfish in Japan. Aquaculture. 227(issues1-4):35-61

Acro-Head

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything I have read the pale egg issue is a strait nutritional issue related to total diet of parents, not one additive thats missing, but an overall diet that is nutritionally deficient. This additive may help, but most are having success with normal diets and they are not having problems with egg color or larval survivability.

Francisco Andrade

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Acro,

I have been feeding my fish a gelatin mix of shrimp, lobster, salmon, crab meat, clam meat, fresh Ulva algae, fish oil and a vitamin suplement I also give them Tetra Spirulina and TetraMin PRO. What should I add? I dont have acess to cyclopeaze. I have got some improove in color and hatch rates by adding fish roe once a day in the parents diet. But the survival by the first day is not very good.

Francisco Andrade

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Acro,

I have been feeding my fish a gelatin mix of shrimp, lobster, salmon, crab meat, clam meat, fresh Ulva algae, fish oil and a vitamin suplement I also give them Tetra Spirulina and TetraMin PRO. What should I add? I dont have acess to cyclopeaze. I have got some improove in color and hatch rates by adding fish roe once a day in the parents diet. But the survival by the first day is not very good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: