gregory

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There are little white spots on my Hippo Tangs towards his face on both sides. The spots are only towards the front of him. When the lights are out these spots are worse, when the lights go on they are still noticeable but not as bad. He has been in QT by himself for 26 days and is eating well and becoming more curious everyday. I'm not sure if I should add him to my DT after 28 days or wait to see what is going on, but he has had this for awhile (atleast three weeks) and no signs of becoming weak or any problems. Could this just be his markings? Sorry I can't get a pick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jab161

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
is it ich? ive had a hippo for about 8 months and he has had ich since the day i brought him home. he eats like crazy and has grown at least three inches but the ich is there every day

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have seen larger hippo's with white dots in the face, if it a small one it could be ich the get ich very easy it gets worse with stress, after many bouts with ich I just dont keep hippo's anymore it always would come back they are ich magnets!

gregory

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not really sure what it is. I guess it could be ich, but it just is by his face and lightens up when the lights are on. There is copper in the QT it is at a level of .20. So that is why I didn't think it was ich, but just his markings.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hippo tangs are notorious ich magnets. In my earlier reefkeeping days, it was impossible to get one and not have ich. Ich has since disappeared from my system, and now I never have problems with hippo tangs. However, I never see them grow....Its too soon to say with my current hippo, I've only had it about 3 months...but my last hippo lasted over a year, getting fatter and fatter without growing...then it started to waste away, despite its full belly. Previous tangs would last for years, but never grow. Very few of my fish grow...yellow tangs always double in size, then slow down....except for maroon clowns...they grow at an astounding rate. My current one was less than an inch 3 years ago...now my son says it looks edible......

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Besides being very prone to ich, hoppo's are even more prone to HLLE if they live long enough. I have had quite a few hippo's and after they reach 5ive or ten years old they almost always get HLLE. It is not fatal but it makes the fish really look ratte with their beautiful blue color turning white in rough patches.
There are many theories as to the causes but I am not convinced any of them are correct yet.
It does not sound like your Hippo has HLLE.
Is he scratching, twitching his head from side to side quickly or breathing heavily? If he has none of those symptome he most likely does not have ich.
Good Luck.
Paul

gregory

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
He does not scratch or twist his head from side to side. He appears to be fine except for the dots near is face. If it is Laternal line, would it cause harm to my DT if I added him?

ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
when i had freshwater tanks i had an oscar that had terrible hlle disease. he was so ugly he had giant holes in his head and there was nothing i could do to help it. if it is hlle, water quality and adding selcon or garlic xtreme could help, you definitely need to identify what this is before you introduce anything into your tank. it is definitely not worth losing everything from impatience.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: