jamesdno

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hi everyone.

i have an ich out break in my tank since the addition of a blue tang last week.

my live stock:

fish :1 blue tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 algae blenny
inverts: 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp
cleaners: 10 hermit, about 20 snails
corals: still don't know the names fo them all... xenia, hammer, aussie duncan, ricordeas,green brain, cloves, and lots of zoos..

it's been 2 days since i added aout 8 drops of Garlic Extreme/day along with few drop in their food as well (nori algae), i can see some improvement in the yellow tang, (dots on his eyes disappeared), but the blue's still suffering.

went to LFS and told me to use Rx-P...but i'm worried it may kill others like shrimps and duncan...

any suggestion?

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
cleaner goby/neon goby

raise temp to around 80-82

kick ich is reef safe

add vitamin C along with the garlic I think 8 drops might be alittle much..

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I suggest you read the thread stuck atop the Fish Forum.

Excellent advice.

James..you are supposed to soak the fish food in the garlic extract. Not sure how you are managing to soak Nori, but most of us will soak mysis shrimp in the garlic before feeding.

I do have to add that garlic does NOT get rid of ich, it only helps to stimulate the fishes appetite to help it to continue eating.

As far as Rx-P...you can waste your time reading the attachment but I don't ever suggest the use of 'pepper' as a cure for ich...
http://www.kentmarine.com/saltwater/first-aid/rxp-parasite-treatment.htm
Interesting in that this is what Kent says to tout it's product:
Not just a pepper sauce, RxPTM treats multiple stages

Yet here is the list on ingredients in the product they are selling:
Contents:

Deionized water, natural plant extracts, pepper, stabilized vitamin c, stabilizers.
What LFS suggested the use of this stuff???

Your best soultion is to either QT the fish and treat them with Chleated copper (make sure you have a test kit for the copper so the fish get the correct dosage or the treatment will be ineffective), or you can try Hyposalinity.
If the fish is badly infected, I would suggest the copper treatment.

BTW - What size is this tank?

Yourbedormine... the raising of tank temp only help with ich in Freshwater tanks. SW ich is a different parasite.
Kick-Ich has killed many a fish and tank, not a topic you really want to bring up here. Another bottle full of 'pepper'...
Cleaner gobies/shrimp are not dependable as many don't bother to clean parasites off of other fish probably due to the fact that we feed our tanks. When a reefer is having an immediate issue with ich, the 'cure' needs to be faster than whta these guys can & will do :(

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Get a uv light.. Check water pars because I threw a fish with ich from a friends tank in my reef with no ill affects to other fish, and in 2 days it was gone... Your fishes immune system was weakened by something... I believe all fish carry ich and it comes out only if something is wrong...

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Ich treatment

Alway always always quarantine new fish especially tangs.

Never never never never medicate your display tank.

Read the sticky like Dean said

Great advice, QT is the best preventative method, but since we are beyond this point, I would read up on the threads as there are many ways to treat ich.

What has worked for me with my Blue Tang, was garlic soaked mysis and brine shrimp or formula 2 pellets and a UV light. Not sure how effective the UV light may be in treating the actual infestation, but I think it helps with the Ich in the tank.

My Blue would heal on its own, but it took some time. Check your water parameters, as crappy water can definitely make the fish more susceptable. Since your Blue is new to the tank, maybe dim the lights for a few days to lower his stress.

Worst case scenario, is to trap him and treat him in a hospital tank.

Good luck

jamesdno

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thank u all for good advices...

update. after 3 days of intensive garlic treatment (lol)...yellow has no sign of visible ich..thank god...however, blue's still suffering...at least didnt' get worse...

i'm about to order a uv sterilizer..and not sure which one to get.... it's either gamma or turbo twist....i'm leaning more towards turbo twist though.....

i also have a phosban, do i still need to keep it after getting a uv?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
thank u all for good advices...

update. after 3 days of intensive garlic treatment (lol)...yellow has no sign of visible ich..thank god...however, blue's still suffering...at least didnt' get worse...

Based on your response, I'm guessing you didn't read the articles on Marine Ich. There are several stages in the Ich parasite's life, most of which are not visible to the naked eye. 3 days of garlic "treatment" will not cure Ich on its own.

jamesdno

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
deanos..i know...i've read the articles......technically, there's no 100 % elimination of ich..however, if fish's imune system is strong enough, it could supress out break of ich. i was just happy to see yellow acting normal and visually got better. he was very healthy to begin with...blue on the other hand, was new to the tank, and still with white dots all over his body.

what i would like to do is to set up a qt, have no fish for at least 6 weeks..but i have a very limited space.. :(

thanks for the follow up...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: