Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
Today, early afternoon I drop a Chocolate Chip star for my Harlequin shrimps. Maybe about 20 minutes past, I decided to take a look at my tank and notice the CC star was roaming in the front and was wondering where were my 2 harlequin shrimps. And notice pieces of my harlequin, these were pieces of my big Harlequin. This was not good! And was wondering, how in the hell he got mangle!

This got my attention and curosity!! I have no powerheads in my tank! So this was an attack....who! Then within seconds notice the other Harlequin, wooshing across the top of the tank by, either my Purple Tang and Sohal tang! Dam, I had the big Harlequin more than a year and the other just got it from WWOF yesterday. Has anyone, know of this to have happen before?

I guess no more Harlequin for me!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Not understanding from your post if one or both of them are dead.
If they were the same sex, good chance one killed the other.
If they are both dead then my guess would be Professor Plum in the Ballroom with the lead pipe (Lead is just not a good thing to have in a fish tank :()

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Professor Plum in the Ballroom with the lead pipe (Lead is just not a good thing to have in a fish tank :()

LMAO!!!! :funnypost

On another note, sorry about your loss. Sounds like the same sex syndrome to me too. And bigger doesnt always mean stronger. Gotta think kind of logically. If you had the big one for over a year with no problems whatsoever with other tank inhabitants, and the only new thing you've introduced was another Harley shrimp, then chances are they didnt get along, and like Tosiek said, the fish were just taking care of the wounded.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Side Note- Are Coral Banded Shrimp in your opinions reef safe?

a little off topic, but I'd have to say kinda sorta :)
They can be rough on other shrimp and supposedly on hermits & snails. My CBS doesn't bother with my snails & hermits as I keep him well fed but no other shrimp has ever made it in the tank he's in...

Johnny, are there any other shrimp in your tank?

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
Kathy, No coral banded shrimp. Currently, I have Sohla tang, Purple Tang, pair of True Percs (wild) very small, Med size lawnmover blenny and RIP harlequins. Yes its possible it was the introduction of the other Harley! Guess, I try to get a pair of harley at the same time and see what happens, in the 2nd round!

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Go for it with trying a pair at once, they are gorgeous. How exactly do you feed these guys? You just throw a C.C. Starfish in the tank and let them have at it? How often?
I so would love a pair of these guys just dont know if I can just sacrifice the C.C. that often?

Good luck either way

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
They are indeed beautiful creatures, the way they move amazing, like dancing! Yes, I give them a starfish, once a month or depends how fast they eat them. I do not feel so sorry for the starfish, cause its not a colorful or reefsafe starfish. I'm going to try it again get them both the sametime and see what happens.

dodogoby

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to try it again get them both the sametime and see what happens.

This will not ensure your efforts unless you know for sure you have a male and a female and you can do so by the following::spin:

"When mature, the female will appear obviously larger than the male. The best, and most accurate method is by getting a look under their abdomens. The male's abdomen will be clear or yellowish in color, lacking any blue spots. The female will have obvious blue spots under her abdomen and usually the very telling egg mass as well."
harlequinsexing1.jpg
harlequinsexing2.jpg

harlequinsexing.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: