• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm at my wits end here.
I've got a 2.5 gal Minibow with 1 betta. For some reason the past few months, his water has been getting 'slimy' A nasty slime covering on the surface that breaks apart almost in sheets.

--I've removed all gravel and cleaned it well.
--I've totally replaced all gravel and plastic plant
--I've replaced the tank w/another 2.5 I have
--Replaced substrate *again* and added a Nanofilter
--*Still* getting cloudy water....now I'm running a Whisper 2.5 w/carbon and *still* getting cloudy water.

I've got 2 1gal tanks as well w/bettas and they have zero issues with water. Clarity is top notch and no 'slime' No filtration on these systems.

I only feed 2 betta pellets per day...same as the 1gal tanks

Had an identical tank next to it that had no problems at all (lost the betta when he developed a tumour)

The 2.5 is on our kitchen counter...far away from any cleaning products and gets about the same amount of sunlight as the other tanks.

So...what's up w/my fish?? I don't know what else to try and I'm tired of doing full water changes every week!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee, Rove, how about telling him WHY he should leave it alone, eh?

ChemicalNotationGuy, it sounds like you keep experiencing new tank syndrome. If the fish is stressed, do a water change, otherwise let it settle. Don't clean anything, DON'T vacuum the gravel, or you'll keep killing your nitrifying bacteria.

If you'd like it to clear up quickly, try a wee bit of Bio-Spira.

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The film on the top is due to organics in the water column, most probably from your betta food. Does all the pellets got consume promptly? Or they drop to the bottom after floating for a few hour and left there until time ends?

If the food is eaten immediately, then I have no idea why. Otherwise, feed less, or remove any unconsumed food. IME, Betta won't eat anything on the bottom anyway.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the 'Leave it alone' that's what I was trying to do..until the scum at the top got so bad that it formed sheets that broke apart and would sink when I'd do wather changes.

As for tank cycling, that's what I was thinking...but this has been over the course of months. I'd be more worried if the fish was stressed, but Bubbles is as ornery as ever...flaring at anyone who walks by and the cats too.

I ensure he eats both pellets after I feed him also, so there's no buildup of detritus as far as uneaten food.

I do water changes biweekly...very light vacuuming of the substrate just to get out his poop..that's it. Replace 3/4-1gal at that time w/treated tap, or ro/di from grocery store. Same water used in other betta tanks.

No other fish are having this issue...it's not something with the tank/substrate, and carbon doesn't seem to be working out either. I'll replace the filter again (been in there for a week..maybe there was just too much for it to handle and it's loaded)

It's now not slimy on top of water anymore, but general cloudiness. I'm planning on not doing anything major and just watching him closely to ensure all is well with him.

I'm just really puzzled what could be causing it....poor guys tank looks like crap. :(

Thanx for the input...and I'll look into the bio-spira.

doublette

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HClH2OFish":1ftbpw8g said:
I'll replace the filter again (been in there for a week..maybe there was just too much for it to handle and it's loaded)
If you replace (actually remove it and put in a new one) the filter your bacteria goes with it and it will be a never ending cycle. I'm not sure what the filter media is like with the Whisper filters but is it possible to just rinse out the filter and put it back in? The sponges from my Aquaclears just get squeezed and rinsed out in the tank water I remove when cleaning.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doublette":34xetj8u said:
HClH2OFish":34xetj8u said:
I'll replace the filter again (been in there for a week..maybe there was just too much for it to handle and it's loaded)
If you replace (actually remove it and put in a new one) the filter your bacteria goes with it and it will be a never ending cycle. I'm not sure what the filter media is like with the Whisper filters but is it possible to just rinse out the filter and put it back in? The sponges from my Aquaclears just get squeezed and rinsed out in the tank water I remove when cleaning.

True...but the tank was run for months with no filtration at all...the only reason I added a filter in the first place was to try and keep the slimy whatever it is from building up to the level where it was at.
The only reason I changed filters is the Nanofilter I was using didn't have an easy way to add carbon to help polish the water...hence the change out to the whisper that came w/the tank. I'll pry just rinse it in any case.

Only thing that *hasn't* changed is the bulb in the hood.....but I don't see how that could possibly cause the issue I've been fighting.

Maybe my betta is just really messy...lol

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're vacuuming the gravel, that removes bacteria. Stop it. Stop rinsing and/or replacing the carbon. Try a wee bit of the Bio-Spira, if that solves the problem (as I suspect it well might), then we can be fairly certain that you are, indeed, experiencing new tank syndrome.

Clearly, your nitrifyers have a tenuous hold on things, and your efforts are making it more difficult for them.

Oh, wait! Add PLANTS! 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and he also mentioned 100% w/c's ... that will also cause a mini cycle. Combined w/ the other excessive cleaning, I totally think it's new tank syndrome.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies....I'll leave things be and see how it goes.
I understand the new tank cycle just fine and understand what w/c, rinsing gravel, etc. have done to it.

The main worry I have is what caused this in the first place? A similar tank right beside it w/*exactly* the same maintenance didn't develop the slime/scum. And this is what keeps coming back.

I've never had slime like this form on any other tanks I've setup in the past which is why I'm stumped as to what it is.

Since Bubbles is doing very well, I'll look into a bit of the Bio-Spira to see if that helps per Seamadens suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betta splendens is a slimer. Also it's possible that the filter does not perturb the surface of your water enough. I have had that problem in nanos and picos before.

Is it a planted tank? I want some pix.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no pix...gotta get a cable for my cheapo digicam.

The tank went for about 6 months with no filtration at all. I guess he's just slimier than the other bettas I've got. I added the filter to break up the surface, but all that did was keep the gunk suspended. I switched to the whisper for the benefits of carbon in the filter.

I'll continue to watch this guy closely...as I said, he's happy as heck so I'm not too worried. Just don't like an icky tank!

No plants either...just aquarium gravel and a plastic plant.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to get that film off is by using paper towels, it should lift right off. Try and keep the surface a little more aggitated and it should prevent it returning. 90% of the organics in water accumulate at the top inch.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup :) I found that Bounty picks it up best w/o dissolving :)

I'm gonna try and find some kind of small 'skimmer' for the top of this tank. This lil guy is just sliming the place up. I'll pry DIY it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to differ on a light vacuuming of the substrate removing any appreciable bacteria numbers. If I understand it correctly they cling to the substrate, and the vacuuming should mostly remove the intended detritus. The stirring you do in the process may release some nutrients however.

I also think adding bacteria products like bio-spira are useless enough to almost go in the hoax category. You can get similar for you compost pile, as though there isn't plenty of bacteria available there already!

That said, I don't know what is causing the excess slimyness. I doubt it's fish slime.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've been running the little whisper during the day only, with carbon in it. The water is still a bit cloudy, but definitely under control. The slight agitation of the surface keeps a film from building up like it was.

Bubbles still looks happy and is having no problems.. *shrug*
Remains a mystery....I'll just keep up running the carbon at intervals since it seems to be helping.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: