• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dwall174

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 100 lbs. of old Southdown sand from an old DSB set-up! I placed all the old SD in a spare 35 gal tank with just a small canister filter & kept the SG around 1.021 just to keep things alive! I don’t plan to re-use the SD for any more of my SW tanks. However I’m thinking of setting up a planted African cichlid tank, Can the SD be reused for a planted tank? And will any of the bacteria survive a slow switch from SW to FW?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria is not the issue.

The reason we use southdown in salt tanks is do to the grain size for the bacteria plus it is calcium carbonate based and therefore provides calcium carbonate to the salt tanks.

At FW ph values it should act much like a calcium reactor and basically become a solid mass over time.

My gut feel is to use silica based sand.

I also hear the planted African cichlid tanks can be a challenge as the cichlids eat the plants.

perhaps others can help here.

Bob

dwall174

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":2jl3351p said:
At FW ph values it should act much like a calcium reactor and basically become a solid mass over time.
Well the African Cichlids like a higher PH around 8.0 so that may not be a problem!
beaslbob":2jl3351p said:
I also hear the planted African cichlid tanks can be a challenge as the cichlids eat the plants.
Whats the fun of it if there's not a challenge! :)
My main reason for using the SD besides the fact that I have it anyway! Is to help as a buffer for the higher PH the African Cichlids like? I have read that a lot of people use crushed coral in their African tanks to help with the PH, I just figured that the SD would also help?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dwall

good points. Sounds like it might work.

A simple in tank refug may be all that is needed if the plants are being consumed.

And what challenge? It may just be the easiest to maintain tank ever.

Bob

dwall174

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":jm7nt8fq said:
It may just be the easiest to maintain tank ever.
Sounds good to me! :D
I'm also a believer in letting a tank balance its self out! I have a 45 gal tank with angels & silver dollars that's going on 5 years with the same fish. It’s not what I would call a planted tank, However I buy a couple amazon swords for it every couple of months! Yea the fish eat the plants mainly the silver dollars, However I feel that it helps out the tank in the long run.

I think the challenging part will be finding the right type of plants that will tolerate the higher PH & harder water! From what I have read about the African Cichlids they like a PH around 8.5 & dKH of around 12! Almost like saltwater but without the salt. 8O

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most plants will grow well in hard water, it's the cichlids you need to worry about. Anubias and java ferns are popular in such tanks. Southdown is perfect for such a tank as it will help raise hardness, it's used by many african cichlid keepers. Here's a tank my friend setup which I think is somewhat similar to what you may be looking to do:

http://www.greenstouch.com/africanlakes.htm

Hope that helps
Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and very interesting.

BTW I don't know if he mentioned it or not but that rock looks exactly like the limestone rock being quarried here for $20/ton. I loaded up a trunkfull before they told my I couldn't. then they didn't even charge me for that.

One rock in a FW planted tank was turning almost totally white and may have even been dissolving.

dwall174

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link Giancarlo!!!

I don't know if he mentioned it or not but that rock looks exactly like the limestone rock being quarried here
That brings up another question! What types of rocks are best to use for an African tank? I have a bunch of flagstone & bluestone that I have leftover from making a landscape border & I was thinking of & using some of that? Of course scrubbing & boiling it first to make sure it’s good & clean!

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Jay and I picked up a bunch of rocks under a highway bridge a few months back, it was a weird place to get rocks but were a great addition to our tanks. Although I believe this tank was setup prior to that filed trip so I'm not sure where he got them from. But seeing with such a tank it doesn't really matter if they contain calcium you have a lot to choose from.

Giancarlo

doublette

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dwall174":4byeg68s said:
I think the challenging part will be finding the right type of plants that will tolerate the higher PH & harder water!

If I'm not mistaken the cryptocoryne species will also do well. Plus a lot of fish won't munch on them because they have a bitter taste the fish don't like.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doublette":1p10gk6y said:
dwall174":1p10gk6y said:
I think the challenging part will be finding the right type of plants that will tolerate the higher PH & harder water!

If I'm not mistaken the cryptocoryne species will also do well. Plus a lot of fish won't munch on them because they have a bitter taste the fish don't like.

crypts as a general rule prefer soft acidic water

the whole mbuna group will destroy plants very quickly, and the haplochromines will dig 'em out

aulonocaras (peacocks) should do very well w/plants, as should the julidochromis families

anubias barteri, coffeefolia, lanceolata, and nana, should do very well, and can also tolerate the occasional uprooting-their leaves are relatively thick and waxy, and grow from a rhizome, so a substrate isn't even necessary, they can be tied to rocks w/monofilament-their only drawback is their slow (relatively) growth rate

hth

doublette

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":24fhvxjs said:
You've confirmed that nothing in my tanks is normal! :wink: I have a few different species of crypts that do well with my ph of 7.8 - 8.0 and a GH of 140 mg/L CaCO3.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doublette":96hqaou9 said:
vitz":96hqaou9 said:
You've confirmed that nothing in my tanks is normal! :wink: I have a few different species of crypts that do well with my ph of 7.8 - 8.0 and a GH of 140 mg/L CaCO3.

there's no such thing as a 'normal' tank :wink: , hence my use of the qualifier 'as a general rule' :)

(swords aren't supposed to do well w/undergravel filters either, but they do) :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know how hard the water will get with a Southdown aragonite bed?

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't get that hard on you, I asked my friend who is using southdown in his cichlid tank and he still needs to add baking soda to keep the right hardness. I would think once the PH reaches 8 or so it's not going to dissolve any more carbonates from the sand.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: