• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

If I remember correctly Dan had these, anyone else grow them? What was the growth rate like? I just ordered 7 (quarter sized plants) Pricey bastages at $8 a pop.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found them to be very slow growers however I also have a tendency to believe that these are not really a dwarf species rather a regular congensis or similar that has been stunted. The reason why I say this is that I've had several of these plants from various sources and every time they started to grow faster and much taller after about 1-2 years. In low light tanks they remain small the longest but in my high light tank the petite has become a long stemed congensis after a year, exceeding a regular anubias nana in size.

This photo is after about 10 months when the plant first started to grow longer leaves and in particular longer stems. If you see a photo of it today this same plant is about 4 times as tall. Still a very nice looking anubias but no longer petite.

http://www.gpodio.com/gallery/scene47.jpg

Still they are slow enough to keep their small size for an acceptable amount of time. Only problem is that being so slow the leaves tend to get some algae accumulate over time. My last piece of petite in it's original size is just now starting to put out new leaves which are larger than the usual so I'm guessing soon it will be just as big as the rest.

Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 plants about quarter size at least a year ago. They grew pretty well, and are now each bigger than my hand. The leaf size stayed tiny, just as you would hope. Nice plants. I have one growing emersed in my terrarium and that's going a bit slower.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in knowing if they do start growing larger in the future, I haven't yet excluded the possibility that I've received a "fake" petite each time. To date I've purchased them from Florida nurseries, Tropica in Italy and a private plant supplier in Virginia. I may have to get a cutting from you one day :) Are the leaves round or come to a point at the tip?

Regards
Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't exacty call them round, but the biggest leaves are maybe 3/4 of an inch, and the ones in the terrarium are more like 1/2 inch.

I think I got them from fishvet.com

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there's always the chance I've been unlucky each time. I have friends with petite nana from Oriental so we'll wait and see, too early to tell based on my experience with the ones I got.

Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've seen at least 3-4 varieties marketed as 'nana' ranging from true dwarfs w/nickel size leaves, to plants over 1' tall w/each leave about 5" long, hehe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: