• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

The angry bunnies have arrived. The portions sent were generous in size, but the plants themselves are kind of sparse and sad looking. No worries, though.... there's enough here that I'm positive I'll be able to get it to take off. Given some time to fill in and grow and I'm sure I'll be seeing flowers eventually.

The sundew looks like it's starting to come around a bit, as well. I'll try to get some updated pics of the tank up sometime this weekend.

A

Anonymous

Going to hold off on pics for a week or two yet, give things a chance to settle in better I think.

I went ahead yesterday and added the second 48w t5 fixture I had lying around. Most of the stuff in the tank was doing perfectly well with the one 48w fixture I had on there, but the HC has just been doing 'meh'. Barely any new growth, and die off in some areas where it's getting some shade from other nearby plants. I'd figured with no water between the bulbs and the HC 48w would likely be enough, but it seems otherwise. Some of the other plants could probably do with the increased lighting as well, so we'll see how the tank does now with 96w of light over it.

I picked up a Tom's Aquatics Aqualifter pump a little while ago... thinking about using it to turn the cork bark background into a drip wall. The Aqualifter pump moves just 3 gallons an hour, and does so through airline tubing. I'm thinking I can put the pump on the top of the tank, run the input line down to the water in the tank in the back hidden in a corner, then run the output line over the length of the background. Have to figure out the best way to manage the output line, though. Maybe just take a length of airline tubing and drill holes in it every inch or so, make it into a spraybar.

Going to have to review Coprolite's orchidarium thread and see if I can't poach some of his ventilation ideas. I'm starting to see build up of fungus patches in several areas in the tank, so getting some air current in there would be a good idea.

And in other news, I found a small slug in the tank yesterday.... must have hitchhiked in with one of the plant shipments. Discovery of the day: riccia is like candy for slugs, as far as I can tell. Going to have to keep an eye out for it so I can remove it when the opportunity presents itself.

A

Anonymous

Some small updates....

I did go ahead and add the second 48w t5 fixture to the tank, almost a week ago now. Doesn't seem to be causing any negative issues and some of the plants - the utricularias and the drosera, in particular - seem to be appreciating the extra wattage. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be helping the HC the way I'd hoped. Several of the patches of HC have died off now - all the ones that were positioned higher on the 'hill' they were planted on. I'm guessing there just isn't enough moisture in the substrate at that level. While I do mist the tank, I guess it just hasn't been enough for those top patches.

The sundew seems to be making a real recovery. It's consistently been catching little bugs in the tank and been busy producing new leaves. The utricularia sandersoni also seems to be settling in well, and has been spreading throughout the little area I placed it in.

On the ventilation issue I mentioned in my last post, I may have found something to help. I found this $10 product which I went ahead and ordered, should be here next week....

d0cbc6bbc453e183cbbec05c7053cd56.jpg

Basically air pump pumps air into a water-and-sponge full sealed canister, then pumps the now somewhat humidified air into the tank through it's output line. So a continuous supply of fresh air that's not as completely dry as the air in my apartment. We'll see how well it works once I have it, but I figured for $10 it was worth a shot.

One thing that's become apparent is that the current design of the 'scape in the tank is a good bit too two-dimensional, not really taking advantage of the vertical height of the tank. I dug up a number of small branches of ADA's Old Black Wood that I had sitting around and have ordered a number of epiphytic ferns. I plan to position the branches jutting out in various places from the left side of the tank and mount the ferns to them, which should make a huge difference to the look of the tank. If I get the ventilation issue licked I might end up trying a small orchid this way. Not that I know a thing about orchids, so feel free to recommend something small that might do well under 96w of t5 lighting and humidity levels averaging around 70% but fluctuating between 50% and 90%

A

Anonymous

New box of plants came yesterday. I added a rabbit's foot fern (epiphyte), a lemon button fern, microgramma reptans (an epiphytic fern), an unidentified microsorum sp. (another epiphytic fern) and a butterwort. Acorus was removed; just wasn't looking the way I wanted it to. I'll get new pics up this weekend.

One of my el-cheapo t5 light fixtures conked out on monday. Decided to pick up a better fixture rather then spend the money on another el-cheapo model, so I've got a 4 bulb current usa fixture on order to replace the existing lighting. Unlike the ones I'm using now, this one's got individual reflectors and a cooling fan.

The tropic-aire humidifier I mentioned in my last post got here a few days ago and I've got it hooked up. I've only got it running on a Whisper 10 airpump that I had lying around, which doesn't seem like it's powerful enough. I'll pick up a stronger pump to try.... the basic idea behind this thing is pretty ingenious and I have high hopes for it.

A

Anonymous

Apologies for the continued lack of photos... I snapped a few this past weekend, but I've been holding off on posting them til I've got some more. I've been waiting on some developments in the plants to take the rest of the photos... the calathea has been sending up a half a dozen huge new leaves, but I'm still waiting for them to finish unfurling, and the new butterwort is flowering but hasn't opened yet. Hopefully in the next day or two.

This being the first time I've attempted something like this, I find I'm learning something new every day. Some observations...

A 20 gallon high is really too small for a paludarium. If you devote enough room to the water feature to really take advantage of it, you give up too much of the land portion. If you devote enough room to the land portion to really take advantage of it, you short change the water portion. Much as I love small tanks I have to admit something with a footprint more like 36"x18" would be far, far more suited to this sort of display. Not that I'm going to take this one down, I'm enjoying it too much, but something I'll definitely take into account if I do one of these again.

Also if I did another of these I'd steal a page from coprolite's book and have an acrylic cover plate made up with ventilation fans mounted into it. I'm trying to rig something up with a muffin fan and those magclip magnets, but it would have been a lot more straightforward doing it his way. The humid-aire and air pump I mentioned in the above posts is making a difference, but I suspect more circulation would be helpful. Some of the ferns especially would appreciate better airflow, I'm sure.

I'd also skip the aquasoil, probably in favor of peat bricks. The aquasoil works, but it'd be easier to build land formations to shape by molding/cutting the peat bricks. Especially for adding more of a vertical component to the tank's layout.

The riccia and the HC are holding on, but not doing much else besides that. Really, I think they just aren't wet enough. As damp as the top layers of the aquasoil are, it just doesn't seem to be enough. I think using aquatic plants as ground cover terrestrially really would require automated misting several times a day at minimum. I'm going to phase them both out of the tank and replace them, but I haven't quite decided with what yet. Terrestrial moss is one possibility, utricularia is another. Might be a good role for utricularia graminifolia, come to think of it.

The cryptocorynes are doing phenomenal. These should be considered the poster boy for aquatic plants in a marginal tank.

A

Anonymous

Finally a photo update...

Attachments

• whole.jpg
    whole.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 141
  • topdown.jpg
    topdown.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 140
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 141
A

Anonymous

More...

Attachments

• rabbit.jpg
    rabbit.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 135
  • rabbitroot.jpg
    rabbitroot.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 142
  • midtop.jpg
    midtop.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 139
A

Anonymous

Attachments

• begonia.jpg
    begonia.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 138
  • begoniatop.jpg
    begoniatop.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 139
  • bunniestop.jpg
    bunniestop.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 137
A

Anonymous

Attachments

• butterwort.jpg
    butterwort.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 136
  • calathea.jpg
    calathea.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 136
  • duckweedtop.jpg
    duckweedtop.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 134
A

Anonymous

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 135
  • flower2.jpg
    flower2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 139
  • fullthreequarter.jpg
    fullthreequarter.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 135
A

Anonymous

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 137
  • lefttop.jpg
    lefttop.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 138
  • microsorum.jpg
    microsorum.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 136
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coprolite":23y32mhr said:
That background is screaming for orchids.

Sounds good to me - got any specific species suggestions? Humidity is running a bit more constant these days, between 70-75%, under 96w of T5s. There's some airflow, but more would be better and I'm endeavoring to add it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest inch and a half or so stays continuously damp. The rest of it really only gets wet when I mist, which I'm doing around once a day at this point. Could alter that either way, though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very similar to what I am going to try to do, so thanks for posting all of these details.

Mine will be about 50% under water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank are you going to use? Honestly that's the number one thing about my set up I'd change if I were to do it again, to use a bigger tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on that subject, I'm now planning to reclaim a little bit of the water portion of my tank in favor of more land. You can see where I'm planning to fill in below...

What I'm planning is to move both the butterwort (and it's babies; it's put out two new plantlets already) and the sundew from the left side of the tank to this new strip on the right. Then I'll put another begonia, begonia bipinnatifida (shown below), where they used to be on the left. This will make the left side more even and bushier, and the carnivores I'm moving to the new land strip both love having a high water table so they should continue to thrive in the new location. Also the added begonia should pretty much obviate the need for any real ground cover on the left hand side.

As you can see, b. bipinnatifida looks more like a small tree than a typical begonia, but it doesn't actually grow that tall. The pot in this photo is 2.5" wide, to give a sense of scale. It's also one of the begonias that needs really high humidity to do well at all, so it should be a textbook terrarium plant.

I also plan to implement the drip wall this weekend using the aqualifter pump I mentioned some time back. Once I do that I may add some epiphytic pepperomia to cover the back wall.

Attachments

• sideview-newland.jpg
    sideview-newland.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 70
  • B3159-2-Large.jpg
    B3159-2-Large.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 71

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: