• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I currently have a DIY 48 led fixture with 2 T12 VHO actinic bulbs on my 120 gallon mixed reef tank and my plan is to switch out the T12 for 4 T5 bulbs

What is the best t5 bulbs combo to run next to the LEDs which consist 24 CW and 24 RB

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
From Front to Back i would go with ATI bulbs,

BLUE+
Purple+
Blue+
Blue+

OR

Blue+
Purple+
Purple+
Blue+

OR

Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+

all Great Combos for Coral And Color.

NYGiants84

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What about

Coral +
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +

?? Anyone have this setup? Currently I have Coral,blue,coral, blue.. but would like a hint of more blueish /purplesish /reddish in it so was thiniking about switching 1 coral + out for a Purple +

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
3x Blue+ 1x Coral+

You don't need a Purple+ if you have only 4 bulbs and one of them is a Coral+ (which is what I would use personally) The Coral+ takes care of the spectrum that the Purple+ covers. It is sort of a mix of a Blue+/Purple+/AquablueSpecial. They market it as a "full spectrum" bulb. It contains enough red to bring out the reds and purples in your coral. At least it should.

Front
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Back

Unless you have a weird rock lay out.

Of course if you want more purple light, you might want a purple+...but if it's purple CORAL then I think the above probably makes more sense.

NYGiants84

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
3x Blue+ 1x Coral+

You don't need a Purple+ if you have only 4 bulbs and one of them is a Coral+ (which is what I would use personally) The Coral+ takes care of the spectrum that the Purple+ covers. It is sort of a mix of a Blue+/Purple+/AquablueSpecial. They market it as a "full spectrum" bulb. It contains enough red to bring out the reds and purples in your coral. At least it should.

Front
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Back

Unless you have a weird rock lay out.

Of course if you want more purple light, you might want a purple+...but if it's purple CORAL then I think the above probably makes more sense.

My only reason to add in the 1 Purple + was because I just didn't want as much whiteness as I was getting with using 2 coral + and I figured adding another Blue + would just make it too blue... so was looking for a compromise of a color in between... would that work?

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I got ya. 2 Coral+ out of 4 bulbs would be quite bright and white.

A Purple+ will be quite bright as well, but skewed more towards the violet, but it's still a full spectrum-ish bulb, IE white-ish.

Try 3 blue+ 1 coral+ few a few days and see how you like it. I have a feeling you'll be pleased. Just give them at least a couple days to burn in and let your eyes adjust.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Hey Rob thanks for the help.... What are the benefits to each one of your selections? Is it growth, coloration, etc.

Its Great Color and Growth. What Type of tank do you have again. Mainly Zoas and LPS? or LPS SPS?

if for Softys, LPS. i would do the

3 Blue+ and 1 Purple+ benefits Good Growth Not too much White But a nice balance of Blueish and Great Growth.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I got ya. 2 Coral+ out of 4 bulbs would be quite bright and white.

A Purple+ will be quite bright as well, but skewed more towards the violet, but it's still a full spectrum-ish bulb, IE white-ish.

Try 3 blue+ 1 coral+ few a few days and see how you like it. I have a feeling you'll be pleased. Just give them at least a couple days to burn in and let your eyes adjust.

Just A FYI, not a few days like a week or 2 too see how the Corals Respond to give it time to Adjust from what ever lights were on before the T5's im sure the coral will like the combo no matter what cause its a good one.

Ligershark

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I ran 3 blue plus and 1 purple plus. then 4 blue plus. then went back to the 1st combo.

I currently run 2 blue plus, coral plus and a purple plus, along with 16 cree royal blues and 3 uv leds.

the blue plus gave me the best growth and coloration, but i did not like the way the tank looked.

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Here is a picture of my tank..... At that time I was running the 48 LEDs and 2 t12 actinics.... So now that I am changing out the t12 I was hoping to keep that same blue ish look in the tank and maybe a bit of purple.....
3ba91f88147b74efeb81a6021f575b39_zpsfcb78c1c.jpg

rc1626

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched to t5/led from 250 watt radium halides. I was looking to save on heat issues and a little on the electric bill. I went with 2 kessil a360we's and 4 ati t5's. I loved the look of the radiums and tried to match it. The closest I've come is with 2 blue + and 2 coral + along with the Kessils run at 50% color and 70% intensity. I tried a purple + in place of one of the coral + but found it to be too pink/red. To my eyes I get a nice crisp white/blue look with great colors and of course shimmer.
HTH a little.

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So with T5's, are white bulbs unnecessary? I have a 8 bulb fixture with 4 10000k bulbs and 4 light blue bulbs, and when its fully on, looks green as hell. I am looking at ATI blue+, true actinic, purple+, coral+??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: