d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I change UV bulbs once a year or when I realize it burnt out.

I buy the UV bulbs online, generic UV bulbs. I dont pay Lifegard $60 per bulb, I pay $25.

The Jebao bulbs I got on Ebay for $15 bucks each but I have not changed it yet, it has not been 12 months yet.

I have been on look out for generic 57w bulbs for the AQUA UV to purchase as back ups for when I eventually use it but on luck. The only generic part I have located for the AQUA UV is the quartz glass sleeve. AQUA UV wants like $60-$70 for it, I found it and order it for $25 on Ebay and it turned out to be the same thing.

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Its not the same to have the UV on a UV port as opposed to the return line.

On a port only some of the water passes through the UV.

On the return line ALL of the water is forced to flow through the UV light before it returns to your display tank.

Then End.

On my manifold if designed right I also get all of my water going threw my u.v. Too!
The end

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Edd, there are many things in life that are generic that we end up over paying for because of branding.

A rainbow acan can cost you $100 a head if you believe the hype.
A rainbow plate coral can cost you $300 or more if you believe the hype.
NJ Corals Direct is selling both at $10-$15 head and $40-$50 respectively. Anyone that wants to compare against Cherry Corals, JF, CB, so called Private collectors/sellers, sometimes its just branding and we pay for it while they laugh all they way to the bank.
The only reason I mention NJ corals Direct is because he left me floored with the multi-headed literally rainbow frags and full size LPS corals that he is selling without giving you the BS and hype. I am was so floored that I have an appointment to go back this week.

If this discussion were on medical grade UV for say sterilization of equipment or facilities meant for critical procedures then I would say buy the absolute most expensive UV bulbs and dont take a chance.

Read the hundreds upon hundreds of reviews on Jebao UV users, typically pond users looking to kill Algae. Their ponds clear up within days, slow down the flow a bit more and you have an Ich sterilizing filter preventing reproduction.

Some things in life can be generic while others cannot. This hobby is filled with branding hype.

But to each its own, I will not be the person that slowly put $7k worth of equipment on credit cards to achieve the same thing.

You have to review threads of reef keepers from around the world to realize that you can grow coral and maintain fish without so much hype and fancy equipment.

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
their are some things that are hyped up, but some things can not be seen with your eyes.
such as materials used and workmanship.
some items you can get away with cheap, but as in a uv bulb i don't know what its made of internally which I'm sure makes up the price difference.
im a firm believer you get what you pay for.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Same thing can be said of $5.00 human grade antibiotics versus hyped up name brand at $200.00.

At the end of the day its not my money and I can only indicate how I got rid of the headache taking fish out because of Ich have not had to do so in 2014.

I purchased two Jebao 55w and could not fit them in when assembled together. so I looked up measurements of a more compact filter and landed on the AQUA 57w for $450.00. The AQUA took too long to arrive, was not aware it would be a drop shipment so I installed one 55w Jebao and sold the 2nd one.

It is now December, tank has a Jebao 55w UV, original bulb, the only thing I fish out now is over turned frags. I would think by now my fish would bbe dead from Ich and I even have a blue hippo in the tank again, has been there for 3 months I think.

AQUA UV 57w was added to my regrets list.

their are some things that are hyped up, but some things can not be seen with your eyes.
such as materials used and workmanship.
some items you can get away with cheap, but as in a uv bulb i don't know what its made of internally which I'm sure makes up the price difference.
im a firm believer you get what you pay for.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I've tried the ich-x product as well as Kordons Rid-ich. But neither worked for me. I had several bottles of ich-x and the Rid-ich and followed the directions. I ended up losing about 10 fishes. What didn't died in the DT from ich ended up dying in the rescue QT from either ammonia and copper. It was a hard lesson learned. That was a year ago. Now I have a 20g QT running 24/7.

The reason why someone suggested to plumb the UV in-line with the return is to ensure that all circulating water passes through the UV and therefore ensuring that almost all free floating ich is eliminated.
The UV will only kill ich during its free floating stages and therefore prevent it from finding a host to reattach and continue its lifecycle. This only happens when ich is dropping off the fish or rising from the sand-bed/rocks to reattach to a host. For the UV to be effective, the wattage and flow rate or contact time needs to be ideal to allow sufficient exposure time to kill the ich. Some of the ich will either find a host or dive to the sandbed, but its likely the UV will get them a few days/weeks later when they re-enter the water column.

P.S. I still have a large size container of the Ich-x bottle. Its works great as a skimmate collector. I have the drain line from my skimmer cup emptying into the bottle. Thats the best use i've gotten out of this product. :thrash:

Swimmy

Coral Connoisseur
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully treated ich in my reef twice with copper free "Kick-Ich" without losing any coral. Just follow the recommended dosage and water change when necessary. Cleared up quicker than I thought it would.

will424

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i answered a question someone asked me about if i quarenteen and i said no, that i use this amazing ick treatment that i came upon about a year ago. I had caught ick and lost about 8 fish already and i have a 180 full reef tank meaning i got everything i wasn't trying to empty the tank out and run it empty for 2 months. I went to a pet store and they recommended a liquid called ich-x, ya might know about it but i didnt, and am sure that alot of people don't know by the amount of emails i was getting. This medication is awesome its reef safe and works quick you dose it every 24 hrs, remove all media and socks and do a water change of 25 percent every 24 hours. I had already lost 8 fish and had fish visibly sick about 3 and they all got better in 3 days i saw no sign of ick. I just wanted to really recommend this product good thing to have for those reefers that don't quarenteen like me. The product is called ich-x and has a picture of alot of fish on the front i give it 4 thumbs up lol.

Hey arnaldo i was the one that asked you if you quarentine, i also bought alot of fish from central aquariums on saturday and did not quarentine but no ich out break yet, you said you lost 8 fish already but i havent seen one with it yet. My water is pristine and everyone is healthy, think they are fighting ich off by themselves? Cause if you got then i defenitely think its in my system too.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Aqua uv is the only uv i will use, why ? Becuase they are the only ones who give actual info and will happily answer your phone call with any questions, now as to why run the uv on the return vs other ways, running it through the return line makes sure all water is getting filtered, running it on a separate pump that drains back to the sump or even a separate line returning to the tank does not ensure all water is being filtered

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: