cheucklate

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Greetings, I am debating upgrading my 30g cube with 28g sump to a 60g cube. The only problem is I live in a apartment on the 16th floor. I am planning on buying renter's insurance incase of floods but I am more worried about the structural support. Does anyone else live in an apartment holding ~90gallons of water in a 24 inch by 24 inch perimeter? Thanks.

Last edited:

mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The floor should easily hold it. Think about this, it's like 4 grown men standing back to back.

If you are really worried (and you shouldn't be) you can put the tank against an outside wall. this way you will have the maximum support.

As far as insurance, I live in a single family home but asked my insurance company about my 60 gallon and they didn't care. They seem to look for additional coverage with much larger tanks.

I have a simple leak detection device you can setup for piece of mind though.

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have my 90G with 40G sump in a pre-war in Manhattan on the 9th floor. I did plenty of research and as long as you put it near some supports you should be fine. I have my against an outside wall and running perpendicular to the floor supports.

Bmwm235i

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon with 5 gallon sump plus the furniture on a second level condo at the jersey shore. My hard wood floors around the tank squeak more when you walk around the tank than anywhere else in the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLO

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have your exact setup on the 11th floor in NYC. 60G CUBE, 22G SUMP. Ive had it there for almost a year with 0 issues in a 2ft by 2ft area against the corner of my living room. You are 1000% fine (as far as weight is concerned) :)

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
yes 16 th floor is concrete with steel you are fine .. go for it .

you have to specifically inform insurance carrier you have aquarium on your apartment which will easily triple coverage .

i have a guy if you need to find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: