olgakurt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roozens Nursery is having a live rock sale on the 4th the ad in the Post said $2/lb for prime Fiji per 42 lb box. You have to take everything Roozens says with a grain of salt, but may be worth checking out if you're in the market for LR.

DarwinTheDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if you have to buy a whole box? I really don't need a whole box, but wouldn't mind about 1/2 a box. I got some rock there a couple weeks ago. I picked out some of the better pieces, but a lot of the rock they had was pretty bad, some even covered with hair algae. Of course they also have a great selection of aptasia cover dead corals
icon_sad.gif

If they are getting in a new shipment, it would be worth it!! Thanks for the heads up. Let me know if you get anymore details.

olgakurt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything other than the ad. My guess is that they are getting a new shipment in on the 3rd and selling it by the box on the 4th. I'd go on the 3rd or call if I was really interested.

Baalz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "one" time i went to Roozen's I only saw nasty hair covered crappy rock. Besides that, i never saw such a large collection of Aiptasia in my life.. very impressive.. filled every tank.
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

xrenx

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i am fairly new to this hobby and i live in arlington. i was wondering what shops you guys recommend, as far as livestock goes. i've been to marine scene, and wally's aquarium. marince scene is pretty good, but it's kind of a hike from where i live. thanks for any input.

ReefMon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome xrenx!

The local favorite for corals, rock and inverts is The Reef Tank in Burke. They do do some fish, and you can get them to order dry goods at MO pricing.

Marine Scene is a good but expensive place for fish.

I'd suggest Super Pets in Annandale before Wally's, but you'll do better at MS or TRT. There are a few other saltwater shops in the area, but I cannot recommend them at all
icon_sad.gif

HTH
Glenn R

DarwinTheDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefMon,

Hi! I saw your suggestion about the shop "The Reef Tank" in Burke, VA. I am interested in visiting the shop. I live in Maryland about an hour away is it worth the drive? Do they have decent rock? How are the prices? Do you know if they have a website? THANKS!!

icon_cool.gif

Grumpy Vet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roozen's Nursery is the Devil....

@ $2 a #......or $.02 a #......Ick....

but thanks for letting us know....

olgakurt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I don't like the place/conditions; especially the greenhouse/no lights part, but if you can get fresh fiji LR for $2/lb in the box, it may be worth it. I'd be concerned how long they had it though. If I wasn't fully stocked, I go to check it out.

Hughes817

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ihave delt with Roozens for some time now excellent deals on corals. the trick is to get there early. If you have not been there when a shipment arrives then you have missed the best pick'n all my live rock is nice and I appericate the time he takes and just think if you are a two dollar frag man looking for a rare piece for next to nothing then yes don't shop there. buy the way a shipment is due to arrive by 10:00 am today

olgakurt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darwin,
The reef tank is worth the drive IMO. I'd call ahead if you are looking for anything specific. Also their hours are a little abnormal. Sometimes their stock is low, including live rock. Their prices are among the lowest in the area and the quality is among the best. They do not update their website from what I can see.

on the side, xrenx, don't go to Wally's, IMO, they always seem to have a brooklynella problem with their fish.

drwwalker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a box and it had nice rock in the box the only catch is you cant open the box I got lucky
icon_razz.gif
and 50 pounds was in the box not 42
icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: drwwalker ]

Grumpy Vet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't let you look at the box before you buy it? These guys are something else..

Roozen's is the weirdest operation I have ever been to....It is run like a Nazi Concentration camp w/ Jos (pronounced Yos) at the helm........arrogant, filthy, no concern re: animals......

This ridiculous - don't look at the liverock - even at $2 a pound is absurd...

GV

reefmack

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xrenx - the reef tank is the best place around. Definitely worth the drive but call ahead if you need anything specific for sure - when they get a nice shipment it goes VERY fast. Grimm and Mike are two really cool guys and they'll help you with anything you need in this hobby - ANYTHING... They've got the best quality and prices around from what I can tell - and anything they don't have they'll order for you. 4-8 on weekdays and 12-5 on sat and sun...

DarwinTheDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to take a ride over to Roozens and check out the deal. Yes it is two bucks a pound if you buy the entire box. As drwwalker said, you take the box without opening it. I understand where they are coming from, I guess they don't want people picking through the boxes and picking out all the best rock. So for that price it is all or nothing.

They did have one box opened for display. It looked decent, so I decided 40 some pounds for $80 was worth a try, I got a case. It is pretty decent rock. I have seen better and I have seen worse but if I had to grade it I would give it a B- . I am happy with it. Here are a couple pictures if anyone is interested.

BTW the rock came in Monday night according to what I was told, and it looked like there were several cases left.

freshrock.gif

freshrock1.gif

freshrock3.gif

freshrock4.gif

Interesting side story here. I really did not need a full case, but I bought one since it was such a good deal. Anyway when I was going through the rock a small crab popped out. My girlfriend asked if I was going to put it in the tank. I said "Not in my reef". She wanted to "save" the poor little crab.....so anyway after a trip to PetSmart we now have a 25 gallon tank for the little crab (that we will probably never see again) and all the extra rock. Oh well I needed another tank for any other evil creatures that are exiled from the reef. LOL!

icon_wink.gif

KumByYa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the Reef Tank have ? I have been there many times and I have to say they have nothing. The corals selection is miserable. They have no clam to sell. It's the waste of time to even drive there.

Yeah, they talk nice talk but I do want to be able to buy some corals too.

Grumpy Vet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are obviously going at the wrong time.....call them and find out when their shipments come in....

Do they have a billion corals in 897974 billion gallon display tanks? Nope...
They seem to have a nano system setup to sell their 4 fish and 100 corals....and a lil bit o' LR...... My question to you....have you taken a look around the end of the tanks and seen what they have in the back? The quarantine & grow out tanks?

These guys @ Reef care about the hobby & are grwoing like Bryopsis in my Reef - call first - ask if they have what you need....They don't buy 20K worth of stuff at a shot like Roozens and have 1/2 of it die due to apathy........

I will continue to support them even though they are over an hour from my home....I hope they grow - quit their main jobs and get freaking serious......give us reef stuff and find another source for Nass snails....

Call em first....they are oh so helpful...

(703) 978-1700.........Reeftank in Fairfax, VA...

GV

KumByYa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grumpy Vet,

Oh Yes, I have. My friends also have and were told to get out of the back because it's for employees only. Obviously there are different classes of customers: Those who have back room access and those who dont.

dfladermaus

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, KBY,

If you get on their mailing list you get great shots at wonderful sales and you know when they get their shipments. They are hands down the best store around. I can only think of one that might compete in Baltimore and it is still a ways off ( not the aquarium center btw
icon_wink.gif
). They dont stock heavy, and Mike and Grimm will admit that. But if you want it, they will get it. And if you know when they get their shipments then you can get primo cultured stuff, including the most wicked clams. But again, they are not the typical lfs, they are propagators and they are good stewards to the reefs, very atypical for a reef store. They are intelligent and they dont order 50 goniporas cause they can make a quick buck. You have to put your money where your mouth is on these issues and they do.
icon_biggrin.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: