chad_pierce

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I performed a deadly water change today. I changed out about 8% and this is my story.

I turned off my skimmer pump and return pump. This caused a siphon, which it normally does, about 5 gallons goes back into the sump. When this siphon occurred, the smallest (male) oscellaris clown thought he would check it out, and the worst happened. It sucked him in. Of course, I allowed it to finish the siphon, which was almost complete when he was sucked in. I had no idea what to do, because my plumbing coming out of the pump is smaller than the plumbing this tubing goes into, and it would not allow him to go into it. I had no idea what to do, so I waited about 15 minutes, hoping he would turn himself around, but he was gone. Of course when I turned the return back on, there he was. Immediately, the female, which survived went to him, and she started to go crazy. When I retrieved his remains, she resumed to normal after about 2 minutes.

They did not mate yet, they were both fairly young. However, I'm very upset, because I really wanted a successfully mating pair, and they were both very healthy fish. My question now is, how would she do if I introduced a new smaller clown? Or, should I not introduce another clown, and see how she does? These were the only two fish I have, they were the first. I have had my tank setup for about 2 months now, and they were doing very well, until my stupid ##* decided to do a water change. I'm a *$*%&$(!
icon_mad.gif

Please advise! And please forgive my ignorance and incompetence!
icon_mad.gif

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: chad_pierce ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since she's still young add another slightly smaller ocellaris and while there might be a minor spat immediately they should get along fine.

Regards,
David Mohr

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im very sorry Chad
icon_sad.gif
I hope if you get a new mate for her it will work out. Good luck !!

ging

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry man, you know what they say. Curiosity killed the cat! I had a Yellow banded marroon whose fin i sereously split when he decided to investigate a syphon, lucky it was just a small hose.
icon_sad.gif

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't blame yourself, and hang in there. I'd go for another, smaller clown to see if they'll pair up. Good luck!

dela

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you either lift the end of the return pipe so that it sits at water level and does not form a siphon, or drill a small hole right at water level for the same reason? Or you can put a mesh at the end of the pipe. This could happen again!

chad_pierce

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and sympathy. I did replace the smaller clown, and as soon as I brought him home, I looked at him, and noticed that the color is much darker. He's more of a red than an orange. He's not a marooon, I know that. The LFS sold him as a oscellaris. He looks exactly the same as the other fish, but MUCH darker. Why is this? Just curious.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: