Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmers would you guys and gals recommend for a 180gal reef? I will be using a modified Berlin or "Natural" system: 1lb+ LR per gal, 4-6" Live Sand bed and active skimming. Any thoughts?

endymion

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probable get a Euro-reef CS8-2 or CS8-3. Quiter then a beckett injector based skimmmer and doesn'nt need a current hogging pump. But they are in sump only.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a beckett skimmer just as quiet as a euroreef. You couldnt even hear my aerofoamer when I had it running. You just muffle the air inlet or run a hose outside for the air inlet.

Chris

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Euroreef CS6-3 or CS8-2. I have a CS6-3 on my 180, and it works perfectly. I don't know if you have ever seen one in action, but the column looks like white PVC when the pump is on. There are sooo many tiny little white bubbles that you can't tell the tube is clear acrlic until you put your face upto it.

I have heard the lifereef skimmers are excellent, but they usually require a fairly large pump. I like the Euroreef becuase it comes with a pump, a sedra, and they use alot less electricity.

I also have an AquaC EV150 on my 80g, and it works very well. You could use the EV200 for a 180g. The AquaC skimmers are also nice because they use smaller pumps.

Good luck,

Scott.

HenTer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bullet skimmer 2 and the euroreef CS8-3 model and I like the euroreef better. Reason is ease of maintenace is really easy like the Aqua-C which I also happen to use on my other tank. Once in a while I switch all three skimmers around and I slightly give the edge to euroreef for its simplicity and performance. This is just base on my own observations and all three skimmers will do an excellent job for you. Customer service is excellent and here's how I rate them base on my experience. No.1 is Aqua-C and no.2 is Precision Marine and then comes Euroreef at the end. Again everything is only based on my experience with the skimmers and their manufacturers and anyone of the above would be a good choice.

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know HenTer, basing A/B skimmer comparisons and opinions on actual ownership and use of the skimmers in question is usually frowned upon on this board
icon_smile.gif

By the way, I use the Bullet 2 on a 225 and would recommend it as a pretty good unit. I prefer to think of the loud gushing noise of the air intake as a status symbol... Course that Skilter I owned about 10 years ago was pretty loud too now that I think about it.

--- Ken

redneck

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenH:
<STRONG>I don't know HenTer, basing A/B skimmer comparisons and opinions on actual ownership and use of the skimmers in question is usually frowned upon on this board
icon_smile.gif
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. Even American-made skimmers?
icon_biggrin.gif

sawcjack00

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would give the flatulant hamster a try. Perhaps a Beckett injected one...

You might want to consider contacting Myreef. I just got one of his skimmers, and it is great. He also will customize it to any size you'd like.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: