percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, after reading all the back searches I found, and noticed that silent surge is gone... I was wondering if there were any more new ideas on outside the tank surge devices... ?? Thanks!

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a couple options that you have that you can make yourself:

1. Carlson Surge (suction type)
2. Borneman Surge (toilet flapper-type)
3. Reverse Carlson Surge (air driven suction type)

From everyone that I've talked to, the Borneman surge is by far has the best track record. There's some info on the Borneman Surge in Eric Borneman's latest book Aquarium Corals. There's also an article about it on The Breeders Registry and on Rod Bueher's webpage: DIY @ Rods Reef. There's also information on the Carlson Surge and Reverse Carlson Surge on the General Discussion section of Reefs.org. Do a search for it by clicking the Search button @ the top of this webpage.

hth

liquid

Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi;

We've been discussing this on TRT, too, with a little help from galleon
icon_smile.gif

http://www.thereeftank.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003774

There's a diagram on this first thread of the Carlson RSD

http://www.thereeftank.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003794

There's a diagram near the end of this second thread that shows the Borneman and the CRSD in tandem

~Alice

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thanks...

GM - wave2k still unproven...? Moving inverts = messy. Do you know of anyone that actually owns this unit? I read on RC, I think a few months ago that someone got ahold of one, or was talking to the company...
LS - Thats what Ive been looking into... no new tricks ideas on improvement? Thats what Im looking for behind this post... Ditto on the Borneman Surge (toilet flapper-type), thats probably what im going with... depends on if there are any new quiter ideas out there... or modifications?
A - thanks! G's pics on all the boards help out alot! He even keeps coming up with new ideas for improvement... Im proud. Where is he now?

How come everyone keeps saying to search... I did
icon_sad.gif
I just wanted new ideas...
icon_sad.gif

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, wave2k is supposed to be at MACNA I believe. I was planning on taking a look at it. If you want, if they let me, I will try to take some pics or get some information for you. LMK if you want some literature.

canadawest

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed wave2k a few days ago asking about allowing me to demo or test a unit, and haven't heard anything back from them.

If I do hear back from them and/or get a device for testing I will certainly let everyone know.

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out yesterday, that wave2k is about 10 miles from me. One of my friends knows the guys who started it. I am going to try to see one in person soon. I heard they may not be going to MACNA also. I will also keep you posted.

Galleon....percula is out of town. Not sure when he will be getting back though.

allenfrenchy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Lantern,
Have you ever tried to email Robert Michelson
about his system? I saw his site 6 months ago or so and was also very intrigued by his sinusoidal valve for the return pump. I don't know what kind of seals he uses to make it water tight. That would be my main concern. Maybe he would be willing to provide a more specific parts list or who knows, he might even be willing to build some valves for sale.
In fact, I think I'll drop him an email and see what feedback I can get. I'll keep you posted.
Allen

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allen that is exactly what a friend and I discussed tonight. He suggested an e-mail as well. Sometimes the obvious slips past me. The seals are our concern as well.

Bishop1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built two sinusoidal wavemakers, and I'm building two more. The first one I built was 2 port; the one's I'm building now are a refined simplified design feeding from the end and are 5 port.

Lathe skills are required for this project, which puts it out of reach for a lot of people, but a lot of people can still do it..

One of these days I'll get around to posting pictures.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Bishop ]

allenfrenchy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Robert Michelson and here is his reply :
"I am designing an improved version that eliminates the shaft seal all
together. I haven't been working too hard on this project however, because
the current valve is still perfectly functional and I'm building other
things ... So I've got a lot of other higher priority interests going that are keeping me from redesigning and replacing a valve that is working just fine.

The trick to the seal around the shaft is the the use of Delrin (shaft) going through Teflon (bushing) with an interference (FN-4) fit. These two materials are self-lubricating, so making the shaft exactly the same outside diameter as the bushing inside diameter (out to several decimal points) doesn't cause a problem with turning, but it does keep the water from escaping.

The interior of the valve is machined on my lathe, but the new design uses off-the-shelf components to avoid the need for precision within. Currently I have no parts list or engineering drawings because the design was driven by the surplus materials that I had lying around he basement at the time. The new design will be manufacturable and documented when I get around to finishing it."

We'll have to keep an eye on his site for the update when it comes. It certainly sounds like the current design is beyond my DIY abilities so a design with "off the shelf" components would be great.

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Allen, I received the same e-mail. I will possibly make the attempt this summer if I can find the right materials. Of course I'd prefer to wait but unless he gets moving on the new design I won't wait.

Mr. Michelson may be the D.I.Y. guru.

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, im back.. trying to get caught up... GL, that guy goes to GA tech, he has to be smart
icon_smile.gif
ANyways... Great new ideas... you think of anything new galleon? Im tired...im out! - later - chris

Bishop1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Lantern: yeah I am making a parts list and an expanded assembly image for Sanjay so he could build one as well. I'll post it when I get it finished..

being able to subscribe to this thread would make tracking a bit easier

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Bishop ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: