• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LINK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting a 180 Gal tank in a couple of months. It is 6'x2'x2'.

I am thinking of going with 6x96W PC (6700 or 10,000k) and 2x55W PC actinic.

I am also thinking about going with 6x96W PC (4 6700 or 10,000k & 2 actinic) and 2X55W one 10,000k and one Actinic.

I am mainly going to keep LPS, Softies, and Clams. Maybe a few SPS, but not many. Please give me your thoughts on these setups. I am shying away from MH.

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

First, what are your reasons for shying away from MH? I ask becuase MH is the only way to go for that size tank.

First, the setup cost for the PC setups you mentioned are going to be way higher than a MH setup. Say you go with premade equipment: 3 bulb PFO 175w (closest to PC output) is around $400 complete. The PC setup you mentioned would be over $800 from custom sealife, or hamilton.

Second, bulb replacement costs would be about the same, but the output of the MH is higher. In effect, you get more light for the same cost.

Third, electricity costs are higher for the PC setup. Just based on wattage, you are going to end up with close to 700 watts with the PC, versus 525 watts for the MH.

Now, if you are dead set on getting a PC setup, the one you mentioned sounds OK. The bottom might be a little dim, but you'll be OK if you don't put any light loving species on the substrate.

I can tell you from experience, PC lighting is OK for tanks that are about 18" in depth. I used a custom sealife 6x96w PC setup on my 180g when I first set it up. It was nice, but dim at the bottom.

I switched to 400w Mh so I could keep anything and everything I wanted, anywhere in the tank. In my opinion, there is no comparison between MH and PC, MH wins out for big tanks.

Look at it this way: If you ever want to keep clams or SPS, you will need more than PC lighting in that size tank. Don't make the same mistake I did by buying a lighting system that would not allow you to keep any type or species of coral in the tank. You will eventually end up spending more money to get the "better" system.

Just my opinion,

Scott.

oyster

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i second what scott said. basically, the crucial factor here is the depth of the tank, which is 24". if you can keep it at 18" or less, PCs are ok, but at the cost you will be spending, i'd rather get some MHs. the bulbs last longer too. either that, have a DSB of 10"
icon_razz.gif

Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180 until last week and too used 6/96. now I have a 215 flat back hex 78/22/30 and removed the middle two 96ers and put in two 400w mh. The othe 4 96ers are blue. But I think the access blue might be unecesary so I might go with 2 10k 96ers or nothing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: