• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 Banggai cardinals last Tuesday (LFS) and after slow acclimation, added them to my quarantine tank (10 gallon, w/ 10lbs LR and LS). All was well until earlier this evening. At least, that's when I noticed a problem.

I did a 3 gallon water change per plan, then noticed the Banggai was staying near the surface, seeming to gasp for air. It's respiratory rate is about twice the others. I see no fin damage... There are no obvious sores, nodules, flukes, etc. The other two fish in quarantine (the 2nd Banggai, and a Hippo Tang) are fine. No aggressive behaviors, no signs of illness.

Occasionally it will drift downward, but then returns to the surface. I believe it may also be showing a very slight imbalance when it encounters the (mild) filter return flow.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I wasn't gonna reply to this but......
You have those 3 fish in a 10 gl tank ? I'm surprised that they're not all gasping at the surface.
It could be suffication from lack of oxygen though all 3 fish would be suffering.
I would say it could be 3 different illnesses and hopefully you have the least dangerous, Ich from stress by overcrowding.
If that's the case start feeding foods soaked in Selco/Selcon, maybe do a freshwater drip ( I'm not a fan of this ) or treat with copper ( I'm also not a fan of this ).
Anyway 3 fish in a 10gl tank is stressfull whether the fish show it or not.
Hopefully this solves your problem but please don't overcrowd your tanks, quarantine or not.

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: