• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JSC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have the link. It was posted here or RC awhile back and it was pretty cool. He could control everything on his tank from it and check temps etc. Just wanted to check it out again. Thanks!

slug3135

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool site, but... some little script kiddie d00d3 sees it and he is going to try and hack it... nothing is 100% secure, especially web pages

richwill

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi slug,
Yeh, I was concerned about hackers getting to my tank. You're right nothing is 100% secure. (For those that care or understand, the machine that controls my tanks is behind two firewalls and is NATed. The machine is actually accessed using port forwarding, so is not directly accessible except via port 80 through the port forwarder.) This is one of the reasons I haven't released a package for other folks. Most people couldn't be bothered, or don't have the expertise, with setting up the necessary security. Unfortunately it's a reality that anything you put on the net has to be treated just like you would treat your house, i.e. it should be placed under careful lock and key.

However, having made all those caveats, I still think it's way cool that I can monitor my tank from the office (or anywhere!). After putting this much effort into keeping my captive critters happy, I like to now that I can take a look anytime and know that they are OK.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: