reefphreak

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of swithching to a deep dand bed from my crushed coral/plenum. I have heard conflicting recomendations regarding the viability of a deep sand bed as a nitrogen reduction/waste processing system. I have read Dr. Ron's articles but have also heard that a bed made of oolitic sand over 2" deep is unnecessary and even can prodoce adverse results.

So, I would like to hear from anyone sho actually has a 4"-5" deep sand bed in place. how does it work? Are you happy with it? What is your biolad? Any hair algae?

Even more helpfule would be hearing from anyone that has swithched from a crushed coral/plenum. What are your experiances-good or bad. Finally, in the words of Joe Friday "just the facts" (no raving just because you believe in one method...what are your real life experiances

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to be honest with you. My main tank is Plenum/CC. Main is connected to 2 sumps, One 40G with 12"DSB, and another 20G with 5" DSB, all sugar sized grains. After the implementation of DSB, I have not noticed algae (hair/cyno) growth yet. It has been about a year already. However, I need to point out that I do not have the problem with hair and cyno BEFORE the implementation either. Worm and Pod population in both sump are well, in fact, VERY well. I can see more worm tunnels viewable from the side. There are more tunnels in either of my 2 sumps than the main tank, and the main tank has been up for more than 2.5 years. As far as the nitrate reduction......Have not noticed any differences yet.

Oh, by the way, the sump with 12" DSB, I can only see worm activity about 5" down. There are no sand movement below that.

Why didn't I switch out the main tank's plenum/cc to DSB?? 'cause I am lazy and the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: