A

Anonymous

Hey Joe_B, Are you saying that Garf is using an unlicensed version of Photoshop?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Phishmon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rotflmao

so it took that long to realize about the program

heh

and that whole non profit save the environment attitude

its called marketing kids

Richard Rajski

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only just read this thread and having run a Garf Bullet Proof Reef now for 21 months I think I can make informed comments on it.

swreefer - Yes, it works brilliantly, without huge expense and now that I'm regularly selling cuttings from it, it is paying for itself.
If you are interested I wrote a series of articles detailing its progress, right from the making of the very first rocks.
Go to: http://www.reefsuk.org/Marine%20Aquariums/Articles/Articles.asp

Cheese Sandwich wrote: 'You'll need a good image-enhancing utility...'

Har! Har! Har!
Go to http://www.reefsuk.org/Marine%20Aquariums/Picture%20Gallery/PictureGallery.htm
for some UN-enhanced images of a bullet proof reef. Camera used was an Olympus C-420L

Mouse wrote: 'It should work fine aslong as you dont plan to stock it with fish.'

Really? Why?
My Bullet Proof Reef has:
2 Common Clowns
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Yellow Tang
1 Cherub Angel
1 Banggai Cardinalfish
They've all been in there for a year and the tank is doing great. Did you have a problem with fish in your Bullet Proof Reef?

tlc wrote:'i think you should try it. i dont think there methods are that much different than what many of us do. basicaly the bullet proof system is just a plenum, some powerheads, a skimmer, and vho lighting. they add reef builder to add alk, reef advantage to add calcium, and some reef plus to add other minerals. what is so unique about that? '

HERE! HERE!

[*]null

SuperLeet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, Another reason the corals could have looked so blue, is for the first two weeks setting up a bulletproof, they leave only the actinics on 24 hours a day.

Also, for all the people who dont think that just the 3 HO bulbs wont work, It says in the setup guide, the HO bulbs are only meant to be used for the first 6months, then VHOs are addeds, and SPS. Also after 6 months, a protein skimmer is added. I see nothing different than a JAubert plenum or whatever. Its just a 55 with a Plenum from corals and clams, (1-800-499-9040) which is custom for bullet, and some power heads, VHOs and a protein skimmer. The only real difference is how it is setup. IE, running the plenum as a undergravel filter for a while (good idea?) and using lower bulbs to grow coraline (which is close to the thought that, a cycling tank should be covered)

I too am setting a bullet proof tank up right now. Im using the custon plenum, an ICECAP 660 for the HO bulbs(then in 6months, all Ill have to do is replace the bulbs with VHOs) the 55, stand, canopy, some powerheads and the garf grunge, and some aragoncreate!

Ill keap you posted. Hopefully one of us will have some luck! (PS when i post my pictures with my new dig. camera, NO PHOTOSHOPING WILL BE USED!!!!)
icon_wink.gif

Keith wants a Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. I'll pitch in my experience. When I started I did the GARF thing (they didn't have any links to this page ha ha). I ran a 55gal with 4 NO's,
1 10k,1 20k,1 actinic, 1 50/50. My tank looked great, I had coraline everywhere, my corals fouresced (sp ?). Then I had a tank accident when my son knocked my hood off destroying all bulbs, (no more football in the house). I then purchased (after I was assimilated to this board I might add
icon_wink.gif
) a dual 400 PFO running Iwasaki's. So now even with acclimation, and only running one bulb I have the following: a bunch of corals that have expelled their zooanthelle (sp), a bunch of bleached coralline, and a heat and evaporation problem. This is not to mention all absence of a blue tint. On a positive note I have been able to add an elegance and a few harder corals but I sure miss the blue and hope some of my other stuff gets it color back. I am looking into getting some sort of actinic supplement and maybe a chiller. Anyway just my experience. With everything there is a learning curve. I will say this about Garf, they show alot of excitement about what they are doing, and they do seem to be trying to do some education. It would be nice if someone made a hood worth a damn that was tailored for reefs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: