• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ReefQuest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kent Marine 60 gpd Hi-S RO/DI Unit. When I first got the unit last winter, it was taking about 3 hours to fill a 5 gal bucket. Now, I am filling a 5 gal bucket in about 1 hour. That's >100 gpd.

I haven't changed any filters yet and I am passed due. However, I would think that would clog the filtration, making it take longer to make water??? What's going on??? Should I continue to use the water generated from the unit? Will changing the filters slow the production rate back down?

Finally, does anyone know where to get cheap replacement filters? I will do the research, but thought maybe someone knew off the top of their head???

Regards,
Chris

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that your RO membrane has deteriorated. You say that you havne't changed any filters. The most important filter on the unit is the carbon filter, because that filter removes chlorine, which will destroy RO membranes. Once the carbon filter is exhausted (they last about 6 months on the average), it will no longer remove chlorine from the water. Chlorine will destroy the RO membrane. If I had to bet on this one, I'd say that your carbon filter became exhausted, and the chlorine has deteriorated the RO membrane, and eaten up the pores making them bigger.

You should probably test your RO water for chlorine and other contaminants as your RO membrane may be damaged and not doing the job any more.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: jdeets ]

bowfront

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as the above. I change my filters every 6 months which seems to be the recommended time frame. I suppose it depends most on the volume of water that you are processing but who keeps a tally on that.

ReefQuest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be stupid, but is it possible that the water passing through the membranes is too warm to effectively be filtered???

BTW, thanks to the prior responses. I will definately do a change to the filters. They are probably about 9 mos old.

Chris

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature differences in the water shouldn't appreciably affect the ability of the filter to work. The only thing you have to watch out for is if the RO membrane isn't used for a couple of weeks, if it's warm you might get some nasties growing in there, but they would flush out when you used it again.

After you change the filters, get a test of the RO/DI water to make sure your membrane isn't shot. Your tank will appreciate it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: