DKKA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I rip the guts out of my 175watt MH pendant and put a 250, or 400 watt ballast in there? Will the cord and socket and fixture be able to handle the extra wattage/heat? How difficult would this be to do?
There's not much price difference in the bulbs, so I'm having trouble forking out the 50-60 bucks to replace my burned out 175 watter when I'd rather have a 250 or 400 over my prop system.
Thanks, Dan

botp2k1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DKKA:
<STRONG>Can I rip the guts out of my 175watt MH pendant and put a 250, or 400 watt ballast in there? Will the cord and socket and fixture be able to handle the extra wattage/heat? How difficult would this be to do?
There's not much price difference in the bulbs, so I'm having trouble forking out the 50-60 bucks to replace my burned out 175 watter when I'd rather have a 250 or 400 over my prop system.
Thanks, Dan</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used my old 175w MH pendant for 250W lamp, also used existing cord from the pendant on the 250W ballast. I did not re-use the old ballast enclosure, I used a new PFO enclosure which looked great compared to the old one. I do not see why you cannot replace the guts, everything should be fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: