BBReefkeeper

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading past posts to try and understand where all of the test parameters should be and how they intereact. But I'm not sure how to raise my Calcium by dripping Kalc w/o raising PH too much.
Tank parameters
Tank: 70 gallon 36x18x24
DSB: 4"
Light: 2 90w VHO (1 Super Atinic,1 50/50)
2 30w Marine Glow bulbs
LR: 30lbs Marshal Island, 50lbs base rock)
SG: 1.025 SeaTest
Calcium: 345-350 Salifert
PH: 8.5-8.6 Red Sea
Alk: Normal-Low Red Sea
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 2ppm
Ammonia:.25ppm
Temp: 81
Time: The tank has been up since earyl June.
My Nitrite, Nitrate & Amonia were all reading 0 untill I added a few small fish and an Open brain a few days ago.
I'm trying to get my Calcium over 400 using Kalc (Ball lime) with my drip auto top off.
Won't this raise my PH, which is already too high? How do I fix.
Thank you very much for any help. Sorry this post was so long.
Bryan

icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

BBReefkeeper

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a Refugium w/ 5 types of Macro running on a reverse light cycle. It is fed from my overflow and returns to the sump.
Thanks again Bryan
icon_smile.gif

reefworm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BBreefkeeper,
Sounds like you're re-cycling due to the bio-load addition. Perhaps your bacteria and detrivore populations are not large enough yet to handle it. Don't add anything else yet.

It would be good to get the pH down a bit, as it increases the toxicity of the ammonia. You could try a series of water changes to drop it. As for the kalk dripping, you can try dripping only at night, when pH drops off due to lack of photosynthesis, and add about 3ml white vinegar [acetic acid] for every litre of kalk mix. Not only will that lower the pH a bit, but it also provides additional carbon ions with which the calcium can bond for calcium bicarbonate - coral skeleton material. Another approach would be a two-part additive, like B-ionic. Try one method and stay with it for awhile to make sure it's working/not working.

HTH

regards,
rw

slash7

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a second opinion on your pH as Red Sea tests aren't always very accurate. If you can find someone with an electronic pH meter that would be best. A more accurate alk test kit would be good too. Alk is just as important as calcium, and the two go hand in hand. Hopefully, you'll find that your pH isn't as high as you think it is. You will need to add some buffer from time to time so you will need an accurate measurement of your alk. Kalkwasser is great stuff, I think you'll be pleased with the results.
icon_smile.gif

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alkalinity should be in the range of 3-4meq/l. Your calcium should be in the correct ratio to what ever your alkalinity is.

Here's one of the most valuable sites available for calculating a balanced alk/calcium ratio:
http://www.andy-hipkiss.freeserve.co.uk/caalkcalc.htm

Also, read this for an explaination of why your additives should be balanced.
http://www.andy-hipkiss.freeserve.co.uk/caalkbal.htm

Also, check out the rest of his site here:
http://www.andy-hipkiss.freeserve.co.uk/

-Nathan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: