skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on a website for the last couple of days, and I finally got enough of it in working order to show it off a bit. So take a look and let me know what you think. Just keep in mind this is the first time I've EVER done anything like this, so it may be a bit simple.

Skylsdale's Reef

StrikeThree

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job - That intro is extremely poetic. Your fish pics don't load though.

You are very funny - "I am entertained!"

Brian

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first rule of the web world is that complicated isn't always better. You have a clean setup. THe pictures take a while to load, but then you are at geocities. Looks pretty good..
icon_smile.gif
You could use a javascript to jazz it up, if you think you could modify one there are lots of webpages. There are also free utilities that you just type in some info and it does it all
icon_smile.gif
Good job & best wishes!

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it is a great web page !!! Good job on the pics and the info that goes with it. I give it 2 thumbs up
icon_smile.gif

ging
icon_smile.gif

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the compliments guys! Quillen, I told you this was my first time doing something like this, and had to figure it out by trial and error--in other words, I have no clue what javascript and utilities are
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
> Mind explaining that to me? Sorry about the slow load times for the pics...what could I do to speed them up? Can I transfer the pages I've already made to a different server?

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant all I said in the most complimentive manner, hopefully you took it that way
icon_smile.gif
. I didn't mind the slow load, as you did say you were new to it. I didn't see a reason for the slow load, until I looked up and saw it was geocities (and all was explained ). A different webpage hosting service may be faster, crosswinds isn't bad (although has its own complications). Check out pages of friends at different services & see which ones load well (then ask why). If they don't have any major comments like well, I used blah blah blah.. then its a fast server. It is easy to transfer pages and your pages look compatable for whatever server. Often times, the free webpage servers have a utility (tool) to transfer your webpages for you.

I'm sorry about going over your head on my termages. If you want to spice up your page, you may find something at the two webpages I included. Your webpage is better then my first - seven years ago. Utilities (like Bravenet) and Javascript are ways of referring things like email from page, your people counter, guestbooks,etc. There are places that provide utilities (everything done for you/a plug in tool) or you can revamp javascript (like my sidebar http://www.crosswinds.net/~quillen/ ) from a webpage that is free. It isn't always easy, but I have done this with no programming experience (some html, of course).

Does that cover everything? I hope that was better.
icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Quillen ]

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.. I signed my cousins up for brinkster a few months ago (maybe a year?) and am still satisfied with what they are getting there. One can post pictures here from brinkster (just tried on the other web thread I was commenting on). http://www.brinkster.com/
30MB, read through everything yourself and see what you think of it. I may make a fish picture page (I haven't done anything with my fish page in over a year) and move it there, just because I can post.

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took your comments totally well Quillen--I just don't know my way around the html and webpage stuff very well
icon_wink.gif
. I'll check out brinkster, and mess around with all the other stuff...thanks for the info.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice site man, love the lights
icon_biggrin.gif

I am glad to see that im not the only one to have labeld their blue hermets murduring bastards. I hate them, i had 15 red legs and 15 blue legs when i started my 25 gallon tank, i felt like i was funding a war from both sides. If only there had been some way of giving the red legs superior fire power, my plans to raise a crack squad of suicide brine shrimp were foiled, how was i to know they were colour blind. But im sure given the chance they would have protected the red legs.
icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: