A

Anonymous

Hi All-

Well since I'm in a relatively warm climate (Nor Cal), and our patio gets plenty of sun, I decided to try keeping a couple of mangroves outside.

I have two, from www.floridaplants.com in a 20 gal tenacor tank, with a very deep sandbed and some so-so fiji live rock, along with some good tank-bottom scrapings, both from premium aquatics.

The only equipment is a small maxijet powerhead and a 100 watt heater. There are no fish or corals, but there is one blue-legged hermit that hitchhiked with the scrapings...

Here it is, tell me what you think:

View

View

View

Here's the base of the bigger plant, on the left. It's not the best picture, but look closely & you can see some nice prop roots forming.

View

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Cheese Sandwich ]

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You going to plug it in as a refugeum or something later when the mangroves are big?

I just thought. Electrician, plumber, chemist, carpenter, subaquatic horticulturalist and fishkeeper. Now you have to add Bonzia Mangrove grower to the list. Who says this hobby isn't demanding.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be alarmed if/when they start to drop leaves profusely, as they are adapting to their new habitat, more specifically, the salinity. Looks good.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by galleon:
<STRONG>Don't be alarmed if/when they start to drop leaves profusely, as they are adapting to their new habitat, more specifically, the salinity. Looks good.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm keeping the salinity at a comfy 1.016, but yeah I'm sure you're right.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks nifty to me
icon_smile.gif
DOn't think I could keep that in my apt balcony though in Mo, so I'll just drool over your pics.
icon_smile.gif

I hope it goes well!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Cheese, right on; your salinity definitely will not be problematic, Rhizophora mangle are very tolerant and range up and down the salinity chart in distribution. The leaves dropping will just be from initial change from the nursery and shipping stress.

Markv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cheese Sandwich:
<STRONG>Markv-

Neat! Does it get sunlight, or do you light it yourself?

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, I wish it did get sunlight. I have a 175 watt reefsun pendant above it, with a 55k bulb. It's a standard 20h that I had laying around. Picked up some neat biota down in florida, threw it in there, and let it bubble away. It's neat to see all the life in there. No fish in there currently. The chief critter predator is a bunch of little aptaisias. Considered putting something in to eradicate them, but thought I'd just leave nature alone. Afterall, this isn't my main reef tank, it's more of a little science project in the home office.

Markv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool Cheese,

I'm not blessed with year-around warm weather, so I have to keep my mangroves indoors. Nevertheless, I've really been enjoying this little indoor saltwater garden for the last 5 months. I've even put some hardy corals in there:

Mangrove.jpg

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Markv ]

loosbrew

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would be very concerned for the temps of the water. outside in the summer, that little amount of water could reach very high temps.
loosbrew

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Markv-

Neat! Does it get sunlight, or do you light it yourself?

loosbrew-

That's precisely why I don't put corals or fish in there. Hopefully the pod population will be able to manage, though. (I'll occasionally be putting a pinch of food in for them).

Mouse-

Well that wasn't in the plans, but it's certainly a possibility.

Quillen-

Just don't drool on the linoleum floor - it makes it hazardously slippery!
icon_smile.gif

LunchMeister-

You bet!

Thanks for all your responses folks...
icon_smile.gif

stevemcadoo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mangroves look pretty good for northerm Cal.! I have started some in salt water and had them out side but I put the seeds? in shallower water,about 2 " of the seed in gravel and 1/2 " of water over the gravel. In the wild they grow at the waters edge and are out of the water half the time then in half way the other half. But rain washed out the salt water (I tested with a hydrometer) and they still grew fine. I left them like this for months. Then I put some right into 1.024 salt water and they still kept on growing. I grow mine outside all year and when they get too big I plant them in the yard. They grow out of water too. I just keep them real moist for a while. Every once in a while a leaf will fall off but they dont all turn yellow or anything like that. I use miracle-grow on them every once in a while. The last batch I started grew about 3 feet tall and are really starting to put out branches and prop roots. They must be about 8-9 months old. I have just started an outdoor coral farm and want to put some in the top tanks to see what happens. I guess it helps to live in Sarasota too. Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: