Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm hoping some of you can help me get started. My kids are bugging me to get a big tank going.

They've done OK with goldfish and betas and a few other things, and they're old enough now for some bigger responsibility.

So that got me researching a saltwater tank.

Neither I nor my children are ready for a high-maintenance kind of thing, so I'm wanting to start easy and small and built upon that.

I'm curious as to how much this is going to cost, how I should get started and what kind of creatures I should consider.

I'm really at the beginning of this and already starting to feel over my head.

Any suggestions?

MediaOne

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that post. Read all you can and realize that this will probably be most successful if you make it a family affair. The cost is also not even comparable to a goldfish/betta tank.

A fish only system is probably your best choice. Remember to get the largest tank you can afford. Maybe look into the Ecosystem method of filtration if you want a very hands off tank.

Goodluck! Cheers,

Jawbone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the multitude of books on the market and the information that is on the net, you can succeed with a mini reef of your own. The trick is don’t buy anything until your 100% sure that this is the last one you will every buy... What I mean is don’t "Settle" for this light until you can afford that light or don’t "Settle" for this tank until you can afford that tank. - You know what I mean.
A couple of sights to try are...

http://www.reefs.org (right Here)
http://www.masla.com (good beginner setup instructions)

A couple of books to read are...
Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock (great book for beginner)
Simplified Reef Keeping by Robert Metelsky (ok if you like the Do it yourself approach to all of your equipment)

My tank philosophies are

1. Read before you start. (This is nothing like sex) There is so much good information out there to help you get it right and feel confident that you did it right the first time.
1. Everything is a placebo. Most products give us a sense of relief, control and superiority when in reality its snake oil just separating you from your money.
2. K.I.S.S. (just an acronym for Keep it simple stupid) don’t complicate your system with useless gadgets and gizmo's
3. Time heals all. Most importantly take it slow. It is not an instant gratification hobby.

Oh and #4. Don’t do a thing I say because these are just what I theorize about this hobby based on what I have experienced... Come up with your own theories (just use a little of this and a little of that)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent advice, guys!

By the way, I was sort of joking around when I put the beta and golfish in there. It was an intentional show of ignorance.

I think I'll start with a fish-only tank. Some of the stuff you guys have looks pretty complicated and scary.

I had nightmares about that 12-inch megaworm that I saw a picture of somewhere on this site.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to a very interesting hobby and Reefs.org!!! Reading, in my opinion, is the best start. An excellent book, along with the Tullock book, is Bob Fenners "Contientious Marine Aquarist". I would suggest a 55 as the smallest tank to start with, and go with the largest size you can afford. I would plan on spending $10-15 per gallon for a fish tank. This could be higher or lower, but not much. The figure includes all equipment and animals.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if I might add to the excellent advice already given, do yourself a favor by keeping the fish load low. The animals will act more natural and you will not have the water quality issues associated with over stocking.
Steve

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to discourage you but there are quite a few intermediate steps between goldfish/betas and a saltwater reef. If you are dead set on saltwater are you open to doing a fish only tank?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids are wanting to get an eel.

Are these things dangerous? Do they get along with most other fish, or will they just eat everything in sight? Can they hurt a human?

Are there lots of different kinds of eels? Do they have to have special food or rocks they can hide in?

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A moray wouldn't be too bad, but make sure you house him somewhere roomy. Triggerfish and puffers would go well to make a classic combo.

Small = easy is wrong in this hobby

BIG = easy to a certain degree

The eel shouldn't bite but every animals an individual. Their heads can grow to the size of a Jack Russel, and their teeth are twice the size.

You could go with some adequate, but not over the top lighting and grow Recordia mushrooms and stuff like that in there, no probs. This way youll have little bioluminecence too.

[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: Mouse ]</p>

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about lampreys? I saw lampreys on Leno one night. Those things are real cool, and people were picking them up out of the aquarium without any problems.

Fishy Lightningsticks

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Redfish, Bluefish:
<strong>How about lampreys? I saw lampreys on Leno one night. Those things are real cool, and people were picking them up out of the aquarium without any problems.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too. They looked cool, but I sure wouldn't want to own one!
icon_wink.gif

karlas

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if thinking about an eel one thing to make sure is to have a full hood with no holes or some way of covering the holes up. eels are great escape artist and a lot are lost due to carpet surfing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: