ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have had my 60gal tank over 5 mths and have 2 cleaner shrimp (for 3mths), 5 fish slowly added for over 3mths and 2 peppermint shrimp (1 week). The problem I have is that I have been hearing clicking noises for 4 out of the 5 mths that I have had the tank. Lately it has been clicking lots in sprits of 3 at a time. I have had no disappearances or injuries. Could this be a mantis or a pistol shrimp. I cannot find out what is making the popping, I am now starting to get worried that the tank may be cracking but do not see any signs of that either. Should I be worried ?? Does anyone have any advice ??

ging

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try target feed your fish for a couple days and not feed the tank. The point is to starve what ever else in the tank and make them come out at night to forage. After a week of target feeding, bait a piece of shrimp in a glass jar and see what you get.

HTH Good luck

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ging,

Dan offers some good advice.

Before taking it, however, let me suggest that you do a search on this board for mantis or mantis shrimp. I have never had one and do not want to have one. I have seen several posts on the destruction they cause to a tank.

Study up and go catch that b*stard. When you catch him/her, place it in a frying pan with a little butter. Sautee lightly!
icon_biggrin.gif

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info
icon_smile.gif
I will set up my "wabbit" trap. I have read a lot on the mantis and they all say that if you have one your cleaner shrimp and crabs are caught quickly and eaten. I will go back and see if I can find some more info, and will have the butter and garlic ready.
icon_smile.gif

ging
icon_smile.gif

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us like mantis, if its pretty, give a post & I'm sure someone would take it off your hands for a nice little 10g tank
icon_smile.gif

Rorschach

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp that came with the rock with the same sounds as you describe.
Look for digging around the bottom of the tank. I have lost two cleaner shrimp, but don't know if it is him. Hwe will pop crabs and such if they get near his lookouts. He came with the rock, so he is a survivor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: