cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of peronsal preferences in this area. My old system had a 4 inch sandbed and I always seamed to have nitrates around 10-25ppm. So, when designing the new system I focused on a live filter system that placed emphasis on water quality and nitrate removal.

I did lots of reading and research when designing my second system. I am a premed major and have a strong chemistry background, therefore, my approach was based on chemistry, and opinions of others. I read several books and literature before deciding on the plenum system and my decision was made based on the chemical rationale behind the plenum system. The manual I found most beneficial is called "Live Sand Secrets" by Dr. Bob Goemans. ($10.00) Not only did this manual provide the chemical approach to the plenum, but it directs the reader with a step-by-step method to installing one. I followed his recipe exactly and have had nitrates of zero so far. All my other measurments have also been very good, with the exception of phosphates, but that is due to the fact that my system is only 4 weeks old and is going through the standard algal bloom.

In short, the plenum system is designed with a 1 inch anoxic zone which is designed to give a home to anerobic bacteria. These Anoerobic Heterothrophs only survive in an area without oxygen and although there contribution to converting glucose to 2 ATP (energy) molecules is small compared to aerobic respiration which contributes 38 ATP, it is still important. The other key element to this zone occurs in Anerobic Respiration, aka dentrification. Under these anerobic conditions, some respiratory bacteria substitute nitrate for oxygen in their electron transport system. Although less energy is made, the process is still highly energy efficient and specifically tagets nitrates. According to Goemans, the sand bed system placed directly on the glass does not provide an are for this group of bacteria to live and multiply. Altough they do live in the standard system, they fight for space with the sand and their contribution to denitrification is limited.

The big disadvantage I noticed with this system is that you can no longer have burrowing fish, because they will dig down to your plenum screen. I had to give up my favorite orange-spotted sleeper goby... bummer.
This is a very controverisal area and both systems have been proven effective, as for me, I have had more success, so far, with the plenum system and it was fun and easy to build. If you choose this route, make sure you read, read, read.
Cheers,
Scott

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nostra, regardless of the system you choose, quality sand is vital and has more of an impact on biological processes than Live Rock. It is recommended to use all Live sand, or if money is a concern, use 50% dry with 50% live. Lots of options here too. Imported sand can be very expenses, some of your better LFS's will sell you aquacultured live sand. I used 60 lbs of this with 60 lbs from my previous system. As for the other commentors, I have heard just the opposite. Most people I have spoke to that have experience with both filtration methods prefer plenum because of low to no nitrates. Like I said before, building a plenum was fun!
Cheers,
Scott

Nostrathomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on having a separate refugium tank with this and some mangroves.I am hoping this tank will help the nitrates and other water qaulity parameters!I have been reading my a$$ off on this board!So much knowledge!I think my wife think's I'm having an internet affair LMAO!

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another book is The Reef Aquarium Vol I. This is the reef bible by Delbeek and Sprung. You should be able to find this at the library. It talks about several Live Sand alternatives.
Cheers,
Scott

Nostrathomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have The reef Aqaurium Vol.1 Just read it again on vacation at NewportBeach!I will check that thread out thanks for your time!Nostra.

Nostrathomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's Tadashi lot o info there
icon_eek.gif
and threads were all positive!No flame wars! go figure?Thanks for your input
icon_biggrin.gif
Nostra

Tadashi

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both will work. The key is to ensure you export (nutrient recycling, skimming, water changes) as many nutrients as you import.

For more info on sandbed check out these links: http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/sandbed.html

I prefer the DSB since it is simple and just as effective. Keep It Simple. Plenum just adds something to go wrong. It may be just my luck but I have seen more people have problems with plenums that not. Mostly nitrate problems. I am not sure if they set them up wrong or not. DSB is simply a 4"-6" sandbed with LS on top to seed it.

Nostrathomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the sand bed sounds alot easier!I was trying to look for southdown atHD But all they had was playsand?It was made by Paragon is this the same stuff?Or should i just use use Caribsea oolitic?

MFisher

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some pretty good looking tanks with little (or no) sand bed. IMHO all you need is enough sandbed to allow lots of little critters to consume the fish waste and leftover food. Good liverock and sand take care of the rest.

IME the sandbed debate is a non-issue. Stick to K.I.S.S. and enjoy your reef. My reefs have been far easier to keep than FW.

Just start one and roll with the punches. They aren't as hard as some would have you believe.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: