24Tom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to try to see if Condylactis gigantea is as difficult to maintain pacific anemones.

If you have, or had a condy, lets hear how old your Condy is or was.

Mine is a year and a half old.

Rick

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years and as healthy as ever.very large and has a great sting . feed 3 pieces of shrimp, scolopps,or silversides every weekend .had it in a fish only tank for the first year and a half with only 120 watts of normal florecents . Moved it 400 miles away .IMO...very easy to keep, but not something for everyone . they get real big and they have a powerful sting when to close to other critters .
Much easier to keep than any other anems.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: RJ ]

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wicked hardy, they don't die unless you have a bad setup/water quality. They grow in mass congregations so it's not a big deal to import them, they are very sustainable. On top of that they're really inexpensive!

afss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my 29 gallon under only 40 watts of light and it did great. In fact it did so well that i had to take it back to the lfs as it outgrew my tank in a matter of 3 months. When i got it it was about 4-5 inches tip to tip. It was positioned in a way that it managed to catch a good quantity of food in the circul;ating water, and whne i gave it back to the lfs it was easily 12 inches tip to tip and was starting to pester my other corals plus i felt the 29 gallon was too small for it. Deffinetly hardy, my clown also addopted it, I am acctually considering getting another now that i have a 90 gallon.

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one yesterday, and today it looks like it just threw up or something. I fed him last nite and was eating well. I can see his internal. Is he ok? Is he pooping?

24Tom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be OK. Mine will expel a couple of days after it has eaten. Overnight seems a little fast unless he was fed before you got him.

So far it looks like they are very hardy. I have been concerned that mine might forget his manners and eat the ocellaris he is hosting. Last night the ocellaris had a big piece of brine shrimp hanging out of his mouth. It went back to the condy to finish eating it. He bumped into a tentacle with the shrimp and the condy grabbed the shrimp and ate it leaving the clown alone. I guess I shouldn't worry.

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two condy's in my tank for a few months now. My Clarkii likes the purple one, but will go over and play in the other one sometimes. It will also take extra food, cut up peices of fish, and give it to the condy. I have feed the condy a number of times, and the clarkii will pick at, or sometimes eat the food while the condy holds it. No problems yet.

Both condy's will be going into a friends tank soon. I have already noticed a good amount of growth in both condys, and both look very happy. The purple one found a rock, latched on, and has only made a trip around the rock once. Mainly because the clarkii keeps digging a hole under the condy.
The white condy moves back and forth about 4 inches about 1 a week. Same places, just moves between them. And one spot is actually shaded, and this tank does not have that much light yet.

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, you're right...today he opens nicely in the morning, but now he is turning inside out again...but like you've said, I think he will be ok. Thanx for the info.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: