TAT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still remember this
leather.jpg

Just found this
http://www.reefsource.com/dyed_corals.htm

My coral lives but the color slowly fades. Such practice should be banned and the importer/LFS selling them should be charge for abusing animals.

TAT

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally think it looks cool as **** but if it hurts the coral it sucks! wish i wouldn't hurt them or fade then it would be cool if you wanted a different look. i probably would never buy one...i like the natural look even though my colt is pretty bland looking

later
Lunchbucket

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color manipulating has been happening in aquaria for a long time. Ever had a painted glass fish? If it doesn't hurt the coral I don't see a prob. It is a bit of deceitful advertising though.

Bill

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, is that it misrepresents the animal, where it came from, why it developed to what it is now.
I've never had a painted glass fish, and will never buy one. Why don't we just put a leather hat , lipstick and garter belt on them too? Maybe call them Rocky Horror, for cuteness sake! (Yah, I know, Rocky Horror didn't have a leather hat)(I think it was Magenta)
Who is to say anyway, whether it hurts the animal or not?
How many things are we finding out about in own environment that is hurting us, that we didn't know of before?
It is not o.k.

Mitch

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dying, whether or not it hurts the coral or not is deceitful and makes identifying species and origin next to impossible.

How do you know that it was dyed? Many colors change based on lighting and other tank conditions.

my $.02

leclaire

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I was down in Miami at some reefs stores, and I was absolutely amazed at how many dyed anemones I saw. These guys had a tank with several dyed sebaes including yellow and green.

The reefsource article was the first I've seen about wholesalers dying leather corals.

Lawrence

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: skeet ]

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dyed corals aren't just cheesy because they're not natural colors, but also because the unnatural pigments can stop light from penetrating to the zooxanthallae, making the coral bleach. And i have a story too!

At my lfs, we got some dyed corals from some nut in the tropics. He sent us yellow pagoda, yellow open brain, and substituted a bright yellow goniopora for something much more hardy. We had received the yellow pagoda before and didn't realize it was dyed because they were from a different area and they didn't show signs of dying (ie: the rock they were on werent dyed, they retained color a month after purchase, normal polyp extension, they looked fine). But when we got the yellow bleached brain and goniopora it was obvious that they were dyed. When we called up that weird guy (took forever to get ahold of him, had to reach him on his cell phone in the middle of the ocean) he just laughed and never answered our questions about his animals...

Eventually garbage like this won't happen once they finally ban collection on wild stuff and it's all captive prop.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: