phishy4

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Cincinnati,Ohio. There are 2 fish stores in town that have both been in business about 20 years. The first store has had a huge rose bubble anemone that he has had for 14 years now with a gigantic maroon clown that bites.
The other store has a green bubble tip anemone that has been alive for 10 years. This 1 has 2 true percs living in it these fish are 14 years old.
My bubble-tip is 8 months old now and is doing great. Just a little inspiration to those thinking of buying 1 of these animals.

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its great to hear stories like this. These creatures are much easier to keep than whats given credit for considering so much data is based off of very small closed "surveys" that were taken quite a long time ago. I am one who encourages people to pursue the keeping of anemones, but like any other saltwater creature to do as much research on the subject as possible.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri welcome to the board.
There are a few expert anenome keepers on this board.
I will leave it to them to discuss who should be trying to keep them, which ones to try, the level of reef keeping experience necessary, the age of the tank, lighting and other critical factors neessary for there to be any chance of sucess.
IMO anenomes are for expert reefers. Their capture and sale in LFS should be restricted to those who continue to experiment with their keeping.
But if you really need to get one why not one from the captive grown vendors. As was pointed out, the chances of survival are greater. Explore with the experts on this board all of its requirements BEFORE you decide to buy one. Good Luck
Thank you

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot the most important thing I wanted to add. The ethics of keeping them has been raised and raised before.
I would now like to hear the experts discuss the technical requirements necessary so that reefers who are determined to get one anyway have the benefit of the experts on this board. Thanks

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been breeding Entacima's for quite a bit now along with keeping my Magnifica Heteractis for awhile also. I do not consider the keeping of many clownfish host species anemones difficult at all, or to be any more difficult than say keeping your typical soft or LPS coral. I am quite aware of most clownfish hosting anemones needs and find them to be easier to keep than what is led to believe. If you want my take on it, I consider saltwater tanks in general to be for "expert keepers", not just one species of animal. Hopefully my Ritteri will be splitting soon, as over the last few months its behavior patterns and size has changed tremendously. Since it is an anemone which multiplys by horizontal fusion, I have been looking for patterns similiar to that of an Entacima. From what I am aware of, these anemones have yet to be breeded in captivity. If thats so, then I would like to be the first, or at least maybe part of a handful who has sucessfully been able to get them to propagate. We shall see.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ritteri&Bubbles:
<STRONG>Naesco: Well if you want to know specific requirements, then please tell me of which species of anemone you would like to learn about.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

R&B

I would love to hear any information you have on the Long tentacle anemone Macrodactyla doreensis. As there are many variations of this species I am looking for all info on the species that has an peach foot and green tips on the tentacles, sometimes refered to as the corkscrew anemone. Also if you have any online sources.

Thanks for takeing the time.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always up for any information anyone wants to dish out, I am big into research/information. I was thinking of getting a bubble anemone for the false clown I am adopted though. I won't make a decision on that till next month or the month after (at the soonest), the seabae has worked really well for me in the main tank. I wanted to try to raise fry (if I can find it a suitable mate) and do a prop tank, etc.. not just do the show tank stuff.

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green bubble tip that I've had for 1.5 years. It split horizontally, and now there are two. It also reproduced once sexually but never saw any of the babies. It has a male and female Oscelaris clown fish who spawn once every 2-3 weeks consistently fror the past 4 months.

I don't feed mine, except for 10 hours/ day of dual 400W Ushio 10K bulbs plus 80W NO actinic plus 1 75W 10+K Blueline.

-Nathan

Ritteri&amp;Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naesco: OK, again for me to answer that,lets start out with this first. You tell me the size of your tank, all of your equipment for it, so this way I can determine what your tank is capable of hosting without any real difficulty. Once I know what needs you can meet, then I can make recommendations. Also include any equipment you may be willing to purchase too if possible. This will be our starting point.
icon_biggrin.gif

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri, welcome to the board, and thanks for taking the time to post. Would you mind elaborating on your statement that salt water tanks in general are for "expert keepers".
Thanks,
Steve

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the statistics that say only 5% of reefkeepers can keep them sucessfully. Also they died in my tank on two attempts in the past so I am not prepared to try again at this time
The purpose of my post was to encourage dialogue between those who have been sucessful and those who want to try in spite of the high risk.
There was fair criticism on another thread that flames start coming fast when the subject comes up so I was hoping (an am interested in)an open discussion free of flames.

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have hade my bubbl tip for about a good year and its doing great. it is a captive bred bbt. my lfs has a person that has a thank with nothing but captive bread bubble tips about about once a month that person brings in X amount of bbt and gets sore credit

Ritteri&amp;Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naesco: Well, what kind of Anemone did you have?? What was the tanks parameters?? Theres a good chance I can tell you why it may have died.

The statistics that state anemones only "survive" 5% of the time is really absurd from what I have seen.

Lets see, more than half of the ones that probably have "died" where from people that would put up a post like the one I saw at reefcentral stating " I just got an anemone, so how do i tell if its doing good, and what does it need". This is where most deaths occur from. Just like ANY animal, research should be done first. This is so true for all fish and other inverts on these BB's. People buy the "pretty" looking creature first, then ask the questions later when most of the time its too late.

Most deaths from anemones occur because of simple reasons like the following:

Improper:

Water parameters(salinity being a huge cause of death, along with too low or too high temp,)
Lighting: too much or too little, time of light etc,
Powerheads: Another biggie, how those "stats" would rise if people would have screened their powerheads
Movement: How many countless posts have i read from individuals moving their anemone because they didnt like the spot it settled to, ripping an anemone from its spot causing tears to its foot is not a smart thing to do.
Keeping anemones in the wrong kind of environment(ie: with other inverts and fish not associated with them, causing physical or chemical warfare or both)

Power outage is another one, but this is a killer of all creatures in the tank for the most part, and unless you are willing to spend x amount of dollars for a generator, it will continue to happen, especially with the trend towards overstocking tanks.

All of the above things are very easily corrected, I can state many more causes of death, but Im hoping the point is getting across.

My favorite and prized possesion is my Ritteri(Magnifica Heteractis) anemone. Many people call this a "wandering" anemone that ends up on the glass many times. Also of being an anemone with a low survival rate.

Well mine has never once wandered, and has only grown and has doubled its size many times over with only minimal feeding.
Lets go over why.

First off, its located mostly on reef crests.

This indicated a few things first off.
1. Strong water movements
2. Moderate to Strong Lighting
3. Potentially nutrient poor water

So this tells me that I will use some good strong MH setups, along with a very high tank turnover rate with lots of direct current blasting on it. I am also told that its very unlikely that this anemone is a "filter feeder" and feeds mostly on direct sunlight(hence its very bright colors)and prey that it occasionally catches.

Next off, we take a look at its anatomy(shape). It has a very large foot which equals its size along with relatively strong sting with many tentacles.

This tells me again that since it is in strong current, it uses a very large foot to anchor itself and relies on its host clownfish and tentalces for protection. You do not find these anemones in jagged rock structures for the most part, and their column is mainly exposed. They normally are found planted on a solid relatively smooth surface for their foot to grab on to. So instead of the usual Live rock, I used a very large piece of hand picked rock that was relatively smooth and has ample room for it to grow and move on. This is a reason why many are found on the "glass", many go to the glass because it may be the only place for these creatures to get a secure footing on, along with normally following the current which tends to be in conjunction with a return from a main pump. I solved this problem by suspending a very large powerhead on a rotating device right on top of the smooth live rock boulder, which was up high in my tank near the lighting, so all of its basic requirements were met in small area where it could be happy. It hasnt moved since. I also just recnetly purchased 2 more(they are actually a colonial anemone too)and actually put one on the front glass, and another on the opposite side of the tank on some of my regular live rock. Guess where they went? Right to the top of the large piece of smooth live rock where the current was strongest, now they are all happily together and havent budged an inch.

Also, acclimation, this is very important step many people forget about. I aclimate my anemones over a 12 hour period. Anything less can be threatening to them. They cannot regulate salinity changes like fish can and can go into a "meltdown" phase. Also, another HUGE thing to know is where you anemone came from. All my Ritteri came from the Red Sea. THe Red Sea has a much higher salinity than the Pacific and it averages around 1.028-.029 roughly. Keeping a Ritteri in a tank with the average 1.023-1.024 salinity would potentially slowly kill this animal over time and it would decline and die. This is probably the biggest mistake made with all anemones. And I cannot stress this enough. My tank is has the high salinity for these anemones and is a good reason for its longevity too for sure. Last thing I do is keep the host Anemone with Natural occuring clownfish, which in this case are True Perculas. When clownfish are present, it only helps with the environment of the anemone.

Anyway, Naesco, if you had 2 anemones die, Im sure it was something that you could have easily overseen on your own part that was not in line with some of the basic needs mentioned from up above. Sometimes the problems are so simple its too easy to see.
icon_wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with Tangs the information out there often is lacking. I have spent the better part of 3 years finding all that I could for the reef tank I have put together. I have kept FW tanks for years. I started out three years ago with an idea of what my reef would look like and can tell you it has ended up looking not what I thought it would. Compatiblity issues, size constrants and the equipment have dictated what I keep different than my original Idea.

Originaly I wanted to have Bubble tips and a pair of True Percs. I do not want the BTA spliting and not enthuesed about occasional walks. The more I studied it seemed if I had the proper set up a Long tentacle anemone Macrodactyla doreensis would set its foot in the bottom of the tank near the base rock and in the sand and not roam near corals. Pecs may adopt a LTA but it is not a natural match. The more I read it seems that Maroon Clown Premnas biaclteus are better suited for LTA's. So this is the route I took.

My tank 55 gallon (I already have a 90 gallon that will eventualy house the reef or I will get a larger one than that.)

250 MH
60lbs of rock
5 -6 inch DSB
Two power heads with pre filters and ventri return
wet dry (all readings great)
all parameters ideal
Tank is 5 months old

It is not that there are people who go out and get things they are unprepared for in all instantces, sometimes the information is not always cut and dry.

I think I have studied as deligently as one can to prepare for my anemone fish and host.

If you know of any further info on Macrodactylia doreensis please share.

Thanks

phishy4

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Fishaholic:
Originaly I wanted to have Bubble tips and a pair of True Percs.
Well first hand success 2 anemones living 24 years in captivity.
The point I think everyone is missing is that these are bubble-tip anemones. You have to remember this species of anemone you dont see any posts about people that have long tenacle anemones living this long.
I do know a guy here in town that has had a LTA 3 years now but that sure is nothing compared to 14 and 10 years.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great information Ritteri, I often have wondered why I see these stuck to the glass. I have never had an Anemone, my tank has always been built around a different theme.
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phisy4,

In the searches and books I have read Lta's have been kept for periods longer than 10 years.

One thing that might help the keeping of LTA's is that there is research suggesting these animals produce a chemical that is Virus resistant and can potentialy kill viruses. With research needed it will become important in keeping these species and breeding them because ongoing generations will be neccessary to develope manupulated changes in the animals.

It may sound harsh but when you stop to think of all the viruses affecting man, this research will not be stopped. Hopefully the keeping of LTA's will benefit.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri it was several years ago and I do not recall the species.
Up until the last year my tank hovered around 1.023 as per the thought than.
I now keep the salinity at 1.026.
I thought the information you provided is excellent and would encourage you to share further stuff.
Remember though that many of the reefers on the board are newbies or have tanks which have been going less than a year.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: