MontanaRocknReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!! I would like to get some good web sites on the care and feeding of these wonderful animals. I would also like to know about those who have kept them for some time and what they thought of them and if they have any tips or suggestions to pass on. Thanks again, Johnny
icon_smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my reef for 3-4 years. Before that he was in a "fish" tank. You know the kind that ignorant people set up, plastic plants, plastic rocks
icon_rolleyes.gif
. He was always a model citizen. When my tank crashed he was ~28-30" and 1 1/2" in diameter. Apparently he was close to full grown. He ate scallops, shrimp, and fish. Unfortunately he never ate my damsel
icon_biggrin.gif
. I was unable to keep ornamental shrimp or crabs. In my ignorance I fed him some expensive meals
icon_biggrin.gif
. I did get to see the food chain first hand
icon_biggrin.gif
. The tank had several openings hecould have escaped from, but he never tried. People that came to visit always wanted to see me feed him. I hand fed him for quite a while, got bit more than once
icon_biggrin.gif
, and decided when he got 18" that I liked my fingers just where they were. If I didn't want to have ornamental shrimp, I would get another one. He did knock corals over a couple of times, but the ones I had "secured", never ate the sand. The open brain and plate coral were never botheredby the occasional overpass. HTH

Jon Gullage

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snowflake that was as gentle as could be, sold him when I moved a couple years ago. I replaced him a month ago and the replacement ate my yellow watchman gobies. The snowflake lives in my refugium and I am looking for a good home for him!

Jon

swreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best eel there is. Eats freeze dried krill, raw shrimp, and raw scallops. Never touched a fish or cleaner shrimp. It is over 2 feet long. Going on over 3 years with me.
Here's "Froggy". That's the name my daughter gave it.
jR60176.jpg

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine, Elie, for 6 months. He was 8" long and is now 16+". I concur with the above. I can't keep shrimps or small fish. I hand feed him and play with him often. I would feed him shrimp and he would dart to a cave so he can wrestle with his food before sucking it down. If I'm fast enough, I'll catch him and let him wrestle around in my hand with his food. He does bite, but it is not purposeful biting. His eye site is terrible and he often hits my fingers instead of the shrimp, but he doesn't bite down too hard. He does nip at other bigger fish at feeding time, but again, it's not purposeful, he is just hungry. He has never knocked any of my corals down and even though his eye sight is terrible, he is a graceful swimmer.
Cheers,
Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: